SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB 1954-1958 Gibson Les Paul Junior SC

What's Hot
Well I've been having a fairly big change round in my gear lately and have made the decision to scale down the quantity in the quest to finally get my hands something that's been tempting me for years, an old 50's Jnr!

I'd thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone has an original 54-58 Singlecut Les Paul Junior in the tobacco burst finish they are in need of selling on.  Something like this would be the dream:

I managed to miss this little gem by being a hour late in contacting so in case the new owner is on here and wants to pass it up then let me know:

http://www.audiotoyshop.com/store/p288/1956_Gibson_Les_Paul_Junior___HSC_---_HOLD.html

I'd like one with all the stock components but not fussed about the original croc skin case.  Not interested in any headstock repairs or restored/resprayed guitars with swapped out parts.  Don't mind some dings, play wear and lacquer checking (positively encouraged).  Above all it's got to be a great player.

If you have one you're willing to sell or know of a decent example at a sensible price then get in touch.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader
    Great to see people are getting into 50's Juniors and Specials now....I just need to up my game ;-)

One thing i would say, and it's totally personally preference, but you are seriously narrowing your search by rejecting a headstock crack/refin/changes (the one in the pic above had a nasty headstock break that was repaired and is now solid, for instance). Some of the best playing and sounding guitars I own have headstock cracks and they were less that Historic money....just something to consider.

I find myself always being more cautious with a mint condition vintage guitar as to WHY it's mint? Not been played much? Is it a dog? Tuning issues etc? Just my opinion of course :-)

But sorry, I digress, best of luck with the search, will send any I see your way :-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @miserneil  Cheers for the input!  I'd happily consider a repair to help save some money but it's just my lack of experience in assessing and checking over the stability/quality of repair in vintage guitars that put me off initially.  

I'd listen to your greater wealth of expertise when it comes to 50's juniors over my current exposure any day :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pm'd
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Not quite on topic, but this thread reminded me of this '57 Special:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/76751/fs-player-grade-57-lp-special
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 372
    @nickb_boy ; 100% support @miserneil 's comments here. What he doesn't know about Jr's isn't worth knowing. I own that guitar and took that pic. At some point in it's life it had a head break. Repaired, solid and by far the finest guitar that I've ever owned. Good luck with your search. Pc. ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    edited October 2016
    @miserneil is spot on re headstock repairs. I have a 59 TV that has a headstock fix and it is the pick of my three vintage juniors. Have you thought of importing from US or putting a wanted ad in Les Paul forums?

I still have that 57 Special that @bodhi mentioned. For some reason a Special doesn't do it for me in the way a Junior does. 
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Cheers for the link as always @jimmyguitar ;

@PC1971  sorry to pinch your image but it is rather nice and thought it was worthy to show what beauties these workhorse juniors can be.  Don't suppose you fancy selling? ;)

@Blacksheep I've been chatting to @miserneil and if the price reflected it I'd consider headstock repairs if he gave it the nod ;)
    Unfortunately with the pound tanking even further over their last few days to 1.24 importing from the US is currently not proving as easy as it was to find a decent deal.  I will be posting up an ad on mlp though to see what's out there.  Just thought I'd see if there was any in thefretboard family first :)

Cheers for all the advice guys, keep it coming!
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 372
    @nickb_boy  No problem at all. I'm afraid that guitar will never be for sale. I'll let you know if I come across anything similar though. Best. ;-)
  • nickb_boy said:
    Cheers for the link as always @jimmyguitar ;

@PC1971  sorry to pinch your image but it is rather nice and thought it was worthy to show what beauties these workhorse juniors can be.  Don't suppose you fancy selling? ;)

@Blacksheep I've been chatting to @miserneil and if the price reflected it I'd consider headstock repairs if he gave it the nod ;)
    Unfortunately with the pound tanking even further over their last few days to 1.24 importing from the US is currently not proving as easy as it was to find a decent deal.  I will be posting up an ad on mlp though to see what's out there.  Just thought I'd see if there was any in thefretboard family first :)

Cheers for all the advice guys, keep it coming!

Don't worry mate, Trump is more than going to restore balance on that front. Wait for the dollar to tank
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    I was just about to wax lyrical about my DC for sale... then I went and played it... and now I am thinking of ways to avoid selling it because it sounded absolutely killer just now... who needs a burst
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80