Out with the old and in with the new

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
So my band, the speedway snails have been playing together for best part of 15 years now. Only the drummers have changed, the rest of us are all original founding members.

Weve had some great times and played in some amazing places but, over the last 18 months it's really begun to feel like a chore for me. We've always been held back by our singers insistance that a woefully underpowered PA lifted from a skip is perfectly suitable for playing high paying weddings and functions and the rest of the bands unwillingness to invest. Add to that our bass players staunch position on "not playing the classics" even though he wants to take the wedding dollar means, that I've had enough.

Our drummer has taken gigs in loads of other bands but says he doesn't want to quit, but his lack of availability and the lack of deps in the area means we can't take the gigs when the do come up which is rarely these days.

i placed an add online for drummer one night but at the same time saw an add for a local function band that wanted a rhythm guitarist. I applied, auditioned and got the gig. Plenty of well paid high profile gigs

It was a no brainer. I didn't quit the snails but it kind of imploded behind me. Within days our bass player has reignited an old band and swapped our remaining dates from the snails to his new band, our drummer basically went "ah well all good things come to an end" and fucked off leaving us with a dep drummer who none of us have met for tonight - which will be the last speedway snails gig for a long time - maybe for all time.

Id hoped if we wound it up it would be with a big gig and a tear in our eyes, but to be honest it all feels like a bit of a relief.

if I'm honest - I don't even want to go

RIP the speedway snails 2001-2016
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    All things come to an end and it sounds like you had a good innings.

Onwards and upwards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Sounds like you are going to better things. Keep the good memories but no need to look back.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Good luck with your new band and ventures. 

Do you 'get the rights' to The Speedway Snails name? It's too good to let go :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Fifteen years is good going for a band, sounds like it's come to a natural end before any really serious problem develops.

Given it a decent burial and move on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Onwards and upwards. Keep good relationships with band mates as they could do you favour's down the line.
    Enjoy the new venture.
  • Yeah 

it looks good  - only difficulty will be adjusting to a life without solos!!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    We started with rhythm/lead but now cut the solos 50/50. If you already know em what's the point? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited October 2016
    Yeah 

it looks good  - only difficulty will be adjusting to a life without solos!!

We started with rhythm/lead but now cut the solos 50/50. If you already know em what's the point? 
    True. I've never understood why rhythm and lead have to be set in stone with some bands. Unless of course the rhythm player feels like he can't take on more...

When I was in an original band whoever came up with parts took the lead. When I have a knock with some lads doing just covers we switch it around depending on who knows what/can be arsed to learn.

Unless the other guy has a massive ego I'm sure eventually he will let you take lead duties on some songs @Travisthedog ;
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    We do a passable dual lead harmony too. I do all the made up widdly shit and my co guitarist learns all the proper solos properly. I can generally play faster than him but he's a perfectionist. A good blend. 

Sounds like it's the right move Travis. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Our last gig was a good one!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Our last gig was a good one!
    Then that's definitely the right time to call it a day.

Unless you fancy a more rock'n'roll ending with a fight breaking out on stage and someone smashing their guitar and walking off halfway through :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Our last gig was a good one!
    Then that's definitely the right time to call it a day.

Unless you fancy a more rock'n'roll ending with a fight breaking out on stage and someone smashing their guitar and walking off halfway through :).
    That's more like most of our other gigs mate!!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Tubeway Toads
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

bloody brilliant 

a nicer bunch of chaps you couldn't wish to find,  totally professional but also a real laugh. Made me feel really welcome and although I really only stuck with playing the real basics all night and had to refer to my chord sheets a fair bit, it went without any major hitches apart from no one told me they played basket case in a different key!!!!

heres hoping to a great future with this lot, I don't feel as sad about the demise of the snails now too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Well done, matey, sounds like it's turned out for the best after all.