9v to 12v converter

What's Hot
keirkeir Frets: 137
Looking for a solution to step up 9v to 12v to power my musicom lab mkiv. It must be able to put out around 500ma after conversion as I need to possibly run a second pedal from the same converter. The mkiv needs 300ma and the second pedal ~200ma

Ive got an advert up on the emporium for a gigrig supanova but was wondering if anyone knew of any other solutions please 
Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

If you can solder a DC-DC converter would be an easy solution (but 9V in, 12 V out might be hard to find and need some creative thinking/kludging!) .

Personally I would just grab an 8 cell AA battery holder from Maplin plus a PP3 clip and co ax power plug. Bit of sleeving and you are golden. AAs last out many PP3s and are much cheaper.

Dave.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2016
    .5A is a lot of grunt to get out of a dc-dc converter... The ones I know of need 5V in, so you'd regulate down to that then get the 12V out, but they're nowhere near 500mA. Best to just bite the bullet on that and buy a 12V PSU.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5w-12v-pcb-ac-dc-converter-a67qf

Not DC to DC, Maplin seem to have dropped them. The converters are available in every power level, half an amp is puny.

Dave.

edited October 2016
    Yep, but if you're gonna do that, you may as well just buy a 12v PSU that'll do the same thing. He wanted a .5A 12V DC feed from a 9V DC source.

You'll only get 100mA from a charge pump and the DC-DC converters tend to be around that or less also. If you can only have one PSU, get a 12V PSU and then stick a regulator and a couple of caps in a box to get you the 9V DC from that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:
    Yep, but if you're gonna do that, you may as well just buy a 12v PSU that'll do the same thing. He wanted a .5A 12V DC feed from a 9V DC source.

I agree but not how the original question was phrased. The "customer" is always right!

Dave.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    As the OP noted, the GigRig SupaNova does just what he wamts ;)
    edited October 2016
    Yep, certainly appears to do so. Would be interested to see what they've put in there to do that. It'd still be much cheaper to buy a 12VDC PSU... Which is still befuddling me as to why you wouldn't really.

From the specs:

Output Voltage 12V DC. At 450mA...

Output Current max 999mA approx. 

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    They use MORNSUN DC-DC converters. eg. The El Paso uses PWB2415MD-6W.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Beefy things! Sadly none of the big three suppliers have them here. Would explain why I'd never seen them.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    The Musicom website says it only needs 300mA (?) http://www.musicomlab.com/efxmkiv.htm

In which case, have you thought about the Pedal Power Digital, which is more expensive but has four outputs at 9 or 12V?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm using a Stymon Ojai for power which has 500ma @ 9v per outlet. I've moved away from voodoolab power as my board weighed a tonne with a 4x4 and a pedal power 2 plus underneath and I was getting noise through my DMM when it was near the power supply.

The reason I want 500ma is so I can split the 12v to power both the musicomlab and a tc helicon mic mechanic rather than using 2 different adaptors.

The Godlyke Iso-pump seems to do the job as well (480ma @ 12v) as the Gigrig unit so might try and track down one of those if I cant pick up the gigrig second hand over the next week or two.
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    keir said:

The reason I want 500ma is so I can split the 12v to power both the musicomlab and a tc helicon mic mechanic rather than using 2 different adaptors.

Well, well, well....
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    pmg said:
    keir said:

Well, well, well....
    Rumbled! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom