Wireless and Cable Patch Bay - would this work?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 618
edited November 2016 in Making & Modding
I want to make a simple patch bay box that would allow me to have my wireless receiver permanently connected to my pedalboard (mounted underneath) BUT on the occasions I want to use a cable, I can just plug in the cable and have it "override" the wireless connection. I want to achieve this with a switched jack, NOT a foot/ toggle switch. I'm rubbish at schematics, hence my play school drawing below.

Anyone know if this would work?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Beexter said:
    I want to make a simple patch bay box that would allow me to have my wireless receiver permanently connected to my pedalboard (mounted underneath) BUT on the occasions I want to use a cable, I can just plug in the cable and have it "override" the wireless connection. I want to achieve this with a switched jack, NOT a foot/ toggle switch. I'm rubbish at schematics, hence my play school drawing below.

Anyone know if this would work?

I'm not sure if this will work, it would be easier to use a switch, a DPDT on-on should do it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29006
    As long as you get the connections right, yes, it'll work.

I can never work out those ones on the left.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I like your idea - to my untrained eye it looks like it would work perfectly and simpler than adding a switch. But why not simply add an second (unswitched) input and connect both inputs to the output directly?

• SporkySporky Frets: 29006
    Gagaryn said:

I like your idea - to my untrained eye it looks like it would work perfectly and simpler than adding a switch. But why not simply add an second (unswitched) input and connect both inputs to the output directly?

Because then you'll be presenting the guitar with the input impedance of the first thing on the pedalboard and the output impedance of the wireless receiver (which will probably be pretty low) in parallel.

This is not conducive to a decent signal from passive pickups.

Using the switching jack disconnects the wireless receiver when the cable is plugged in, so it's gosh-darned close to just plugging straight in - the impedance of the sockets and a bit of wiring will be negligible.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Sporky said:
    Gagaryn said:

Because then you'll be presenting the guitar with the input impedance of the first thing on the pedalboard and the output impedance of the wireless receiver (which will probably be pretty low) in parallel.

This is not conducive to a decent signal from passive pickups.

Using the switching jack disconnects the wireless receiver when the cable is plugged in, so it's gosh-darned close to just plugging straight in - the impedance of the sockets and a bit of wiring will be negligible.

Thanks you! I suspected I would be missing something. :-)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 618
    Good to know I'm on the right track.
    I made a much more complicated patch bay to re-route pedals in or out of an effects loop depending on which output I plugged into - saved a lot of hassle when using amps with or without loops.
    Just got a bit stumped with this one but looks very straightforward so will give it a go..