Any plumbing/drain blockage experts?

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
Having an issue with my shower drain and the speed at which it is training water.

It's an Ideal Standard shallow tray (idealite model I think) - which comprises of a chrome effect drain cover, then a usual, two part removable plastic cup and filter type deal (to catch hair and stop drain smells coming back up), which sits in the drain space, which is probably 2 inches in diameter and two inches or so deep...

The actual hole for the pipe is then sits at 90 degree angle off the hole in the shower tray

(sorry for shitty explanation!) 

Anyway - if I take away the drain cover and filter gubbins and have the shower on - water drains away OK and the reservoir bit doesn't fill with water, so water is getting through...but as soon as I've stuck all the other bits back in (which are clean as a whistle, so nothing obstructing) - the shower tray fills pretty quickly.

The reservoir isn't quite big enough for me to stick my hand down, then around the corner into the drain pipe itself, so I can't feel/see anything blocking it..I've tried to use a coat hangar to stick down there and try to feel/pull out anything, but nothing as I think the pipe quickly bends 90 degrees the other way...and I've tried natural methods of bicarb and vinegar to try and clear it...but to no avail. 

Next step is to obviously use some sort of chemical drain unblocker - but not sure how well this will work as the actual pipe, as I say, sits at 90 degrees to the tray reservoir, so I'm not sure if it will get to the place it needs to be (like it would if you poured it straight down a sink drain).

So anyone that's had a similar problem or can offer advice, I'm all ears! 

Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Do you have access to a Karcher pressure washer?
    They do a water jet adapter for clearing drains- I've used it quite successfully.

I don't like chemical cleaners- because if the blockage isn't cleared then you have loads of toxic chemicals sitting around in the drain.
    I've used them in the past- once we had a persistent drain problem that involved getting a dynorod guy out.
    When he cleared the drain with a water jet the house suddenly smelled like the drain cleaner I had thrown down there a month ago- so the drain cleaner had sat about in the pipes for a month.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Several kettles full of boiling water might do it - usually works for me anyway.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    Bathroom drain-cleaning/unblocking fluids apparently dissolve hair and soap which are supposed to be the main culprits when it comes to blocked drains. They seem to work okay in Chez 9000.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Cheers chaps. As @octatonic said, I'm not a fan of chemicals in case they don't cure the problem and sit there...but I'll see if there are any bathroom specific ones which might help as I don't have access to a Karcher :( 
    joneve said:
    Cheers chaps. As @octatonic said, I'm not a fan of chemicals in case they don't cure the problem and sit there...but I'll see if there are any bathroom specific ones which might help as I don't have access to a Karcher :( 
    I'd actually go with a stronger chemical if you have to use one.
    It will get through the gunk quicker.
    The issue I have with some of them is they aren't strong enough to work but they are strong enough to hurt you if you end up going into the plumbing and it is still hanging about.

One Shot seems to be the one to go for- it usually takes care of the problem.
    I'm not 100% sure it is for indoor bathroom use- I've only used it for foul drains.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    We had that problem too @joneve. I removed the short plastic cylinder, removable as you found, and shortened it by about 25mm. This improved the flow so then I cut about a further 10mm off, by now it was higher than the bottom of the outlet connection, and that is how it remains. The shower empties as it should. AFAIK those traps are to catch ear rings or studs. Not needed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    The traps are mainly there to stop sewage smells coming back up.

They are definitely needed.
    The traps are mainly there to stop sewage smells coming back up.

They are definitely needed.
    Yep, as soon as I take mine out to clean the crap out, the smell hits you! 

there's absolutely zero way I can adapt/change the length of the pipe without taking the whole tray out and then re-installing and re-sealing it, and I'm not doing that, far too much faff...I'm sure a drain unblocker or another go with a hanger might work. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6157
    Hanger's not very bendy though. I have one of those springy things designed for the job - you twizzle the handle at the oter end and the tip then squirms it's way past each bend. It's about 1m long and I think was a quid or two at Tesco and looks like this: https://everydayobject.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/drain-blocker.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    If it drains away ok without the chrome cover and the hair trap, there isn't a blockage in the drain pipe or the shower trap. My guess is there's not enough space for the water to get easily with the hair trap in place and it's restricting the flow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    If it drains away ok without the chrome cover and the hair trap, there isn't a blockage in the drain pipe or the shower trap. My guess is there's not enough space for the water to get easily with the hair trap in place and it's restricting the flow. 
    I would agree with you - but it was fine with the chrome cover and trap until a few months ago. 
    joneve said:
    boogieman said:
    I would agree with you - but it was fine with the chrome cover and trap until a few months ago. 
    Hmm, well that complicates things then! Try flushing it through with some boiling water first, it might well help. Otherwise it'll have to be chemicals...try a hot solution of washing soda first, that's not too aggressive but still quite effective at shifting soap build up. 
  • Google "power plumber" 9 times out of 10 it's job done, and it smells like lemons.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Careful with the pressure washer, I've seen that backfire on someone with hilarious and incredibly disgusting results.
    I wouldn't use a pressure washer. You've always got the chance of forcing a joint apart, then you're in a whole world of shit (excuse the pun). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    I wouldn't use a pressure washer. You've always got the chance of forcing a joint apart, then you're in a whole world of shit (excuse the pun). 
    You adjust the flow so it isn't full power.
    I've done it a dozen or so times in the rental flats with no issue.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    HAL9000 said:
    Bathroom drain-cleaning/unblocking fluids apparently dissolve hair and soap which are supposed to be the main culprits when it comes to blocked drains. They seem to work okay in Chez 9000.
    The same here .. I also have a big plunger that works a treat if you pump it vigorously. 

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    HAL9000 said:
    The same here .. I also have a big plunger that works a treat if you pump it vigorously. 
    Any specific products that you use? 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    edited October 2016
    Various products including Mr Muscle, Sainsbury's own, Buster plug unblocker. I normally buy one which specifically mentions 'bathroom' on the packaging but suspect they're all pretty much the same. Anyway, they all seem to do the job. Just pour down the plughole before going to bed, then run the shower the next morning to rinse everything away.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    joneve said:
    Fretwired said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Any specific products that you use? 
    Funnily enough the Lidl own brand which is made in Germany and works well along with Tesco's own brand which is pretty good and Mr Muscle. Pour down leave and then rinse with boiling hot water. Add soda crystals. I also use a plunger that helps get things moving.

If it's bad use Caustic Soda but make sure you wear gloves and googles and have ventilation.

http://www.wilko.com/kitchen-cleaning-products/caustic-soda-500g/invt/1159440

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!