Gretsch New Yorker... can it support a Bigsby?

JadedJaded Frets: 127
edited October 2016 in Acoustics
Anyone out there know if I'd be able to mount a Bigsby on a G9550 New Yorker without the top caving in on it? I'm planning on adding a pickup and thought I may as well have a tech add one at the same time. 

I know there's no post connecting the top to the back like you get on something like a 6120 but there are definitely some braces under the bridge. I've seen a few old archtops with them on so I assume it should be fine?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72796
    You can add a B3 (or B30, which is the cheaper version) or B6 to any archtop guitar which has a conventional trapeze tailpiece - the pressure on the top is actually quite small, really just the spring force rather than the full tension of the strings. Looking at the size of the body and the bridge placement a B3/B30 looks like the right one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Perfect, thanks! I suppose if the pressure from the bridge is able to be supported a Bigsby should be far less. Now just to find a decent pickup, hah!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8053
    I'd pop a Charlie Christian on it.  I think CC pickups in the U.K made a decent clone that should drop right in. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72796
    DeArmond Dynasonic. Very 'right' on a Gretsch, easy to fit and sound great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8053
    The stock pickup on these (assuming that's the model you have) uses a pickup mounted on the fretboard.  

If you don't want to drill new holes, the Dyna would be difficult to mount...
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking more for a way to amplify the acoustic sound rather than add a magnetic pickup (though I would like to eventually add the D'Armond Rhythm Chief). I'm thinking possibly a K&K Definity and pre-amp at the moment.