Stupid Builders.

What's Hot
Just found out that our House Built in 2010 has a problem with the drains in the kitchen sink because the stupid builders didn't connect the drains properly.

The pipe literally goes straight into the ground and so the smallest amount of solid waste causes a blockage.

It's going to cost £4000 to get it fixed but thankfully the builders are paying for it. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I never cease to be amazed at the poor workmanship and quality control surrounding houses, which are our biggest ever financial investment, the utter shite that Barrats and similar throw together is apalling....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    My daughter lives on a new build '2012' housing estate & almost everyone has experienced drainage/sewer problems from day one.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    You should get a guarantee of some sort with a new build covering you for quite a while. 

I think ours was built in 95 ish and we took over the guarantee from the previous owners when we bought it. It lasted for about 15 or 20 years if I remember correctly. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited October 2016
    It's because there is no quality control / inspection of the build (other than the foundations). The builder is able to build and sell what they want, and it's for the punter to know the building regs inside out if they want to buy a decent spec house that's been properly finished.
    If I were buying new I think I'd hire a building quantity surveyor (or a renowned quality builder) to inspect the build for me as it progresses.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    I did once own a brand new flat complete with cardboard walls etc. Never again.

I can't believe how thin modern roof trusses are. :o

These places are never going to last as long as their forebears. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    CHRISB50 said:
    You should get a guarantee of some sort with a new build covering you for quite a while. 

I think ours was built in 95 ish and we took over the guarantee from the previous owners when we bought it. It lasted for about 15 or 20 years if I remember correctly. 
    The standard NHBC guarantee is 10 years. I'm amazed that the OP's issue of drains wasn't picked up by the local inspectors though. They're normally around all the time, like flies round shit. When we had a small extension done last year we must have had 6 or 7 visits over the space of a few weeks to inspect footings, insulation, roof trusses and wall plate, steelwork etc. Done for all the right reasons, obviously, to stop cowboys taking shortcuts.  
  • I thought the point of building inspectors was to prevent cock-ups like this?

That planning system is odd. I'm trying to extend my house and the planners are even dictating what kind of garage door I use, yet builders are getting away with screwing up the basics like this. That's a flawed system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    We had loads of building inspectors when it was first built and the NHBC signed everything off and have guaranteed it for 10 years.  Unfortunately they are useless and they said we first have to contact the builders, if they don't respond for at least a month then they get involved.