That time of the year (too cold to play)

What's Hot
NPPNPP Frets: 236
I had forgotten over the past few months how bad it felt trying to play with icy cold stiff fingers. But now the (relative) cold seems to be back, and my fingers will be too cold to pick up a guitar for the next 6 months.  

Any ideas on how to deal with the situation? I've always had that problem but it is getting worse, and just turning up the heating isn't going to work. It seems circulation in my hands and feet (not elsewhere, though ;) ) just shuts down below a certain ambient temperature. 

When I'm really committed I'll get the fingers warm after 30-45 minutes of playing but that's normally the total practice time I get and if know I'll be uncomfortable and ineffective all through practice I find it hard to get started at all. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Warm your hands on something? Immerse your hands in a bowl of hot water ( Joe Satriani's tip) or hot air ( hair dryer, politician) mebbe? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware your extremities start to get cold as your body reduces blood flow to them to keep your core at its optimum temperature.

So maybe you need to do some whole body warming up so that the blood is pumped out to your fingers and they heat up.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Long sweatbands, like tennis players wear. If you keep your wrists warm that's half the battle
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    I'm the same...have a super hot shower before you play.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    yes, I keep my wrists warm - just to stay alive.

Whole body warm-up may be a thing to try, that sounds like going to the core (sorry ...) of the problem. Water-based methods are out because they'll weaken the fingertips too much I'm afraid. 

• NPP said:
    yes, I keep my wrists warm - just to stay alive.

Honestly try wearing thick long sweatbands, even underneath a sweater (especially if it is a loose fitting one).  I find it works really well.

I don't find the hot water method works well, even if you keep your fingertips out of the water it is only a temporary solution and if the room is too cold you end up being cold again after a while.  Better to do a full body warmup instead of the water then try to keep as much heat in while playing.

Get a thick pair of thermal socks too, or some boot style fluffy slippers (the ones that look like soft Ugg boots).
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I prefer playing my guitars indoors at this time of year despite the comfortable seating options available in my garden.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I have the central heating on, and it has a thermostat which means the temperature is regulated at a comfortable level, I can't say I've noticed any detrimental effects to playing or wanting to play. I do also own a French Horn and the first "play" of the morning means holding a slightly cold instrument (with slightly cold mouthpiece), I can warm the mouthpiece up by running it under a hot tap then drying it. I do remember in the past, brass players moaning a lot when we did an outdoor concert at xmas time in -10 deg C (approx) - I was playing bass guitar and it was no real issue for me though.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    thanks for the comments and suggestions. I envy those of you who can play at -10, and yes, central heating is on, wollen socks worn over knee-length socks, two fleeces, and wrist-warmers are all worn. And I am playing indoors (if I didn't, I'd attract all the local cats plus probably the police ...). I'll go with more systematic warm-ups (now, after an hour's playing, I'm fine!). 

• I've yet to find a rehearsal place that keeps the rooms warm in winter, especially if you're first band in, so I feel your pain. I find that keeping the whole body warm and wrists covered up as noted above is the best way to cope. That and standing over the inadequate heaters in the rooms...
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    . That and standing over the inadequate heaters in the rooms...
    You mean the amps?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I've never had any problem playing in cooler weather.
    Are you lot part lizard?