Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Did anyone actually like Queen's Flash soundtrack?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I was just being annoyed by that bloody ad with the dog singing Flash, and I cast my mind back to the album. Queen were my favourite band back then, but I thought that the Flash soundtrack was pretty terrible. I guess that 'Flash' is one of their iconic songs, but I didn't like it at all. They bought a synth to do the record, and that was it for their famous 'nobody played synth' line that appeared on all their album covers, as they featured from then on. For me, the last album I liked was Jazz, I think they lost something after that. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    I did.
    Haven't listened to it for a while though.

I also like Hot Space.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    it works with the movie, not by itself though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24416
    Yes.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Yes, Oberhiem lushness throughout.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    I was an early era fan but still loved The Game and enjoyed the soundtrack , even accepting it was just a soundtrack and incidental music. Flash and the Hero were the only two songs and they were ok.

Kind of Magic was a soundtrack too although it made for a better album.

Jazz is a cruelly underrated album!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I  mostlyonly really like pre synth Queen. Probably Jazz and News of the World my favourites. Not sure I've ever listened to Flash as an album but the last time I watched the film I remember listening out for the soundtrack and thinking it was a bit of a one song deal.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I was an early era fan but still loved The Game and enjoyed the soundtrack , even accepting it was just a soundtrack and incidental music. Flash and the Hero were the only two songs and they were ok.

Kind of Magic was a soundtrack too although it made for a better album.

Jazz is a cruelly underrated album!
    Totally agree with KoM and Jazz.

The Game had some very good stuff, I thought that Save me was an epic track, Crazy little thing was great fun, and Sail away sweet sister was lovely, with one fabulous vibrato note! Not mad on the sound/production/engineering of the album overall though. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

octatonic said:

I also like Hot Space.
    er .... OK. [shudders, fearful expression on face]
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72459
    I prefer it to A Kind Of Magic (although I do like the title track of that) and Hot Space.

It's definitely 'different Queen' though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's not bad, not one of my favourites though. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I had the Flash single because I enjoyed the film when I was a kid.  

The B side, Football Fight is good fun. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    (Whispers quietly) I'm not keen on most of Queen's stuff, if I'm honest....
  • Yeah Hot Space was awesome!

Hot Space was awesome!
    I really tried to like it, but I just don't - apart from Las Palabras De Amor, which is a great song.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6504
    edited October 2016
    It's the only Queen album I don't own (EDIT: Except for the posthumous ones), because I figured it was a soundtrack rather than a proper album and that doesn't interest me.

Hot Space is OK, Staying Power is a fun track. Hardly an essential album but at least I could bring myself to buy and listen to it which is more than can be said for Made In Heaven

• ICBM said:

Hot Space was awesome!
    I really tried to like it, but I just don't - apart from Las Palabras De Amor, which is a great song.
    Fair game! I thought it was something a bit different and edgy. Definitely has an era associated with it!
    edited October 2016
    Yes, and fair play to them for trying something different, even if it didn't quite work - for most people, anyway.

Made In Heaven I think has some good moments... but being honest, I would need to go and listen to it again to be sure :).

• ICBM said:

Hot Space was awesome!
    Fair game! I thought it was something a bit different and edgy. Definitely has an era associated with it!
    Haha that was my least favourite song on Hot Space, and I come forth saying that as someone who only got Hot Space at the weekend. It has a very different vibe about it. Very much "dance" music vibe... 

I need Queen, Queen II, Flash and Made in Heaven and then I will have the entire studio works of Queen (albums) on CD. ;) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28444
    The Flash soundtrack is their best work apart from that one with Bowie, which is their best work by an enormous margin because the amount of Queen in it is diluted. A bit like Lilt, which is better than pineapple or grapefruit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Made in Heaven was awesome. 
    "Too Much Love" is such a great song if you've ever loved more than one woman at the same time - it does kill you!

I never really liked Queen I or II...