What kind of screw is this? DIY advice.

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
 I need to loosen the below pictured screw, which fixes my sink basin to the wall.  I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of before hand?  Do I need a special tool?  Do not need to turn off the water before I do this?  

I just need to loosen both of them a little so I can move the basin forward and clean behind it then tighten it back up.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Just an adjustable spanner, or a spanner the right size. Be careful not to bend/scratch up the plastic fitting.
    No need to turn the water off as the water pipes are flexi hoses.
  • Should be fine as long as you get someone to take the weight of the sink whilst you do the loosening, cleaning and replacing, or otherwise prop something underneath it.

Correct-sized spanner should be all you need.

Also, cleaning behind the sink where it attaches to the wall? Dedication to the cause!
  • (water should be fine left on, as long as you don't drop the sink, breaking it and flooding your house)
  • Cheers guys.  I think I have an adjustable spanner with a nylon jaw thing on it.  I don't plan to take the screws out totally, just enough so I can clean behind it.....I dread to think what it's like back there!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    It's just a nylon nut so all you need is the right size of spanner. It would be a sensible precaution to turn the hot and cold water supplies off and you may well find in-line isolators in the two pipes below the basin. You give them a quarter turn with a flat-bladed screwdriver. When you retighten the two nylon nuts do not over-tighten or you could strip the thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a fischer wst140, a normal adjustable spanner will work fine. Is it also siliconed to the wall? If so you'll need to cut that before it'll move.
  • That's a fischer wst140, a normal adjustable spanner will work fine. Is it also siliconed to the wall? If so you'll need to cut that before it'll move.
    Not sure if its siliconed, I don't think so.  The basin seems to just rest on top of the bottom stand bit and the basin itself is attached with that Fischer screw.  
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Then silicone it when you put it back and it won't get grimy again.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    You need a Basin Wrench or a long reach tap tool
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Yeah that's what I'm going to do.  The guy who installed it didn't bother, he was a bit lazy.  We had to get him back to re-silicone around the shower as it wasn't a very good job. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    57Deluxe said:
    You need a Basin Wrench or a long reach tap tool
    Not for the wall fixings you don't. An ordinary spanner is fine.