Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Longevity

What's Hot
I think any band, artist, be it musician or painter/sculptor etc has a certain life span where they are creatively at their peak before they hit a trough. 
Some will bounce back over the years like the Stones and Cliff Richard, some will change direction like David Bowie.
But for some reason it's seen as right to slate any band when their new album is not seen as good as the last. Now no musician writes to record a worse album, but tastes change and also the musical trends change, so what was seen as groundbreaking in a short time becomes old hat. 

Whats your thoughts on artists who have consistently improved or at least held their quality throughout their career? And has anyone done it over 1-15 years let alone 20-30-40 years. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
    Johnny Cash must get an honorable mention as someone who managed to be doing great work right up to the end of a very long career.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4714
    EC
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    but tastes change and also the musical trends change...
    Have you told AC/DC yet?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Loads.

Clutch have been consistently awesome throughout their career.
    So have Porcupine Tree, Freak Kitchen, Devin Townsend, Carl Verheyen, Robben Ford, Joe Bonnamassa, Beasts of Bourbon, The Beautiful South, Tori Amos, Big Wreck, Bill Laswell, Bill Frisell, Helmet, Mastodon & Rush.
  • Johnny Cash must get an honorable mention as someone who managed to be doing great work right up to the end of a very long career.

I am a huge Johnny Cash fan, but even I admit some of his records during mid 70's to later 80's was pretty poor to say the lease. Chicken in black for example! 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @octatonic beat me to the punch but I was gonna say Mastodon.

It seems to be the done thing to slate their newer material (which is more melodic and accessible) and fawn over their much harder-edged older material. But I've never really been able to get into their first couple of albums and feel like they've really hit their stride with their newer direction, which has a very distinctive sound that's all theirs, is full of great playing and singing and also has some great hooks. Check this out:

I just don't get how people think they've changed for the worse.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    edited October 2016
    Also, SikTh.

The day they release something bad is the day that, to quote Eminem, "Aquaman drowns and the human torch starts swimming".

Bit different though because they were SO ahead of the curve, and the only reason their stuff sounds less out-there now is because everyone else is only just starting to catch up, ten years later.

How out-of-this-world this opening track must have sounded coming through one's boombox in 2003...

A groovier version of Atheist... crashing into a much, much madder version of System of a Down... fronted by what sounds like a duo of deranged clowns? You'd never think it would catch on, but then Misha from Periphery was inspired by it, and everyone else was inspired by Periphery and before you knew it, the newly-minted "djent" craze was becoming the main driving force in the wider modern metal scene. And all because of six slightly mad blokes from Watford.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    Mark Knopfler - he doesn't sell records in anything like the quantities he did with Dire Straits - but his solo records are full of great songs.
  • Marillion - if anything the quality gets better.   

tFB Trader
    Johnny Cash must get an honorable mention as someone who managed to be doing great work right up to the end of a very long career.

I am a huge Johnny Cash fan, but even I admit some of his records during mid 70's to later 80's was pretty poor to say the lease. Chicken in black for example! 
    Oh yes agreed, he's certainly produced lots of crap amongst the pearls. I was providing an example of someone who had been able to create great albums at a very advanced age.
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:

It seems to be the done thing to slate their newer material (which is more melodic and accessible) and fawn over their much harder-edged older material. But I've never really been able to get into their first couple of albums and feel like they've really hit their stride with their newer direction, which has a very distinctive sound that's all theirs, is full of great playing and singing and also has some great hooks.
    I totally agree, I think Mastodon just keep getting better.

There is a rather lame trend towards hipsterism in metal where anything that trends towards being more commercial must be instantly dismissed.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    edited October 2016
    Bucket said:

It seems to be the done thing to slate their newer material (which is more melodic and accessible) and fawn over their much harder-edged older material. But I've never really been able to get into their first couple of albums and feel like they've really hit their stride with their newer direction, which has a very distinctive sound that's all theirs, is full of great playing and singing and also has some great hooks.

There is a rather lame trend towards hipsterism in metal where anything that trends towards being more commercial must be instantly dismissed.
    Agree.

I like melody, I'm not talking about sing song corny cheeseball stuff, but songs need melodic content.
    I don't enjoy listening to bands that sound like a cutlery drawer going down a kitchen waste disposal.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Bucket said:

Ooooh!
    That track Bucket posted is interesting! 
    I've heard some of the older stuff, but only once -- but this is much more my cup of tea when it comes to, well I'm gonna call it rock in the absence of knowing better.  I've added "Once more around the sun" to Spotify.
    Grunfeld said:
    Ooooh!
    That track Bucket posted is interesting! 
    I've heard some of the older stuff, but only once -- but this is much more my cup of tea when it comes to, well I'm gonna call it rock in the absence of knowing better.  I've added "Once more around the sun" to Spotify.
    Great album.

Brent Hinds is a killer guitarist too... loads of awesome solos throughout the album.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    David Bowie springs to mind - the odd drop in quality but still better than many of his contemporaries.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
    There are only a handful who have continued making consistenly great music that come to mind.

Tom Waits - if anything he is at his greatest in old age. He did swordfishtrombones & rain dogs in his 30's, bone machine & mule variations in his 40's and Alice, blood money & real gone in his 50's and Bad as me in his 60's

Joni Mitchell - from clouds through to The hissing of summer lawns & Hejira through turbulent indigo & Travelogue

Dylan, yes he had his odd late 70's period but the stuff that came after is also awesome especially love and theft.

Tracy Chapman - her late stuff is also great especially let it rain (produced by John Parish IIRC) and Our Bright future.

Bowie, of course
  • Opeth - there's plenty who don't like their new stuff but taste aside they have always been good !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    For longevity it's hard to beat Los Lobos. I don't know all their back catalogue ( over 40 years/ over 20 albums plus side projects so it would take some catching up) but they've incorporated some diverse influences including traditional folk to some quite avant garde stuff. David Hildago is an excellent blues rock guitarist, popping up on record as a singer and guitarist with a wide range of people including Dolly Parton, Elvis Costello,Govt Mule.
    They are on a couple ( I think) of the Clapton Crossroads DVDs. Little, fat old Hispanic guys who you imagine might just play their hit but instead roll out some fierce Spanish blues rock.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72459
    Neil Young

He's 70 now and has made more than forty albums over about the same number of years. Certainly some of the ones along the way have been a bit up and down, but I think overall his quality hasn't declined at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll vote for Jeff Beck, Robben Ford, David Gilmour and Nile Rodgers, as they are among my favourite guitarists and have been around for a long time. Am I allowed Guthrie Govan, because he's been around for quite a while now?

Steve Wilson continues to produce good and interesting material.

I was impressed by that Mastodon clip posted earlier. I've have to go back and listen to more of their stuff.

It's not a competition.