Observations on getting old(er)

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
Apart from the aches and pains, which take longer and longer to go away, one thing about getting older is that you become more and more invisible.  It is almost as if the world is for the young and the old should get out of the way.  An example, I was walking along the footpath in our local town recently.  Two guys, in their early twenties or so, walked out of a shop and crashed into me almost knocking me down.  They simply walked away without even an apology.  Or a half hearted 'are you OK?'.  Not even a 'sorry' for almost flattening me.  To them, I had become invisible.  I hope it stays fine for them.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    Did someone post something above ?

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    26reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I think that's more indicative of a lack of respect than the fact that they didn't notice you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I think it's down to your biases (we all have them).

I know you've said it's an example, but you're judging a generation of people based on two guys, who the only attribute you've mentioned about them is a vague age.

In my day to day life elderly people are much ruder pedestrians than younger people. Walk into you, stop in front of you for no reason, cut you up, and then just glare at you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I find it harder to remember new songs (mainly the structures) and have tended to rely on charts a bit more at first. But the songs sink in eventually. I'm not sure whether it's just age or whether I've just got so many songs in my head and they're all getting jumbled up.

It's not a competition.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    I don't know if it's age so much as some people are just arseholes. 

I was late to my daughters school a few days ago so a steady flow of parents were coming out of the gates meaning I couldn't get the push chair in and was becoming later and later. About twenty people went past ignoring me until someone waited to let me through as they did someone else went around them and shoved past me was giving me the stink eye as they did. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33800
    I opened a door for an old lady the other day she didn't say thank you, therefore all old people are rude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Rocker said:
    Apart from the aches and pains, which take longer and longer to go away, one thing about getting older is that you become more and more invisible.  It is almost as if the world is for the young and the old should get out of the way.  An example, I was walking along the footpath in our local town recently.  Two guys, in their early twenties or so, walked out of a shop and crashed into me almost knocking me down.  They simply walked away without even an apology.  Or a half hearted 'are you OK?'.  Not even a 'sorry' for almost flattening me.  To them, I had become invisible.  I hope it stays fine for them.....
    MAYBE YOU'RE GOING A BIT DEAF IN YOUR OLD AGE AND DIDN'T HEAR THEM.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    edited October 2016
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    The good thing is that the guys at the Porsche garage think I might be able to afford one !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    I definitely appear to be invisible to young women now. It's quite puzzling because everyone else still seems to be able to see me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I definitely appear to be invisible to young women now. It's quite puzzling because everyone else still seems to be able to see me.
    That must come in handy when you are up a tree with your telescope. 
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    spark240 said:
    The good thing is that the guys at the Porsche garage think I might be able to afford one !
    Aha....Thats where the Porsche come is.....they make you visible to young totty ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Who's that fox?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Well I just tried out this "invisibility" superpower you're supposed to have when you're older. The womens changing room at the leisure centre has completely disproved it, I was butt naked so it wouldnt look like clothes were floating in the air but everyone could see me fine.
    Keistering an iPhone 6 is a bitch.

Posted from the local Police cells
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eyes are going I think.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'd love to be invisible, but unfortunately I'm tall and handsome
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    I'd love to be invisible, but unfortunately I'm tall and handsome
    Detachment from reality.
    Another classic aging issue. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm 47. I have no problem with the idea that the world is largely for the young. Many are arrogant and self-centred, but without those qualities I don't think they could provide the drive to move society forwards. I saw an interesting interview on the "Sway" Youtube channel, with one of the Beastie Boys, who was appalled at the idea that young people should be offering him respect and listening to his music, making the point that the young should absolutely be sticking 2 fingers up and creating something new.

The young are arseholes and they sound like self-centred pricks, but only because that's absolutely necessary, I think. It shoudn't stop them from feigning respect every once in a while though, and I think the arrogant qualities can go hand in hand with some good manners.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Buy a decent suit,  wear a smile and walk with confidence,  noone is invisible if they don't want to be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    You are only as invisible as you let yourself become.

Get yourself out of the friggin' house and take your guitar up onto a stage and live a little FFS !

I'm sat here with my entire Arse, Sphincter and colon in fucking bits. I had major reconstructive surgery two days ago. I am fucking ruined, i mean i can barely make it to the bathroom which is then like being fucking shot when i go and that pain lasts around 4 hours each time. I won't see the outside world now for another 6 weeks.
    I would do anything right now to be able to walk around, put my shoulders back and feel good about myself, let alone take the guitar and go *find* somewhere to play. 
    Why does no one do that anymore? Just go and find a jam session and play FFS ! Make your own Jam session or band?

Invisible?
    Why? Because 21 year old's don't look at you anymore?
    Make them look and be spectacular as you do it !
    Overweight - lose it and look good, for YOU not them.
    Hairy - Cut it - yes every day if necessary. 
    etc......

Health, Grooming, nice clothes, put your shoulders back and don't slouch, go out for the sake of going out and try talking to people, go to gigs, play gigs, get-the-fuck-involved with life, it's going on around you right now.

No one is too old to do something to change, no one.
    I've got the build of a 12 year old now after all this total rest and hospital.
    I absolutely promise you that i will look good completely different in 18 months time - fucking watch me.
    Get someone to call you names, it works a treat for determination !

It sounds more to me like you've just given up.
    I just turned 44 and i'm not giving up yet, i'm barely getting started.

*If you don't like your life, change it - END OF".
    Any arguments or whinging past that about how you can't change is YOU putting obstacles in YOUR OWN way.

Anyone can change their life and lifestyle, it's just down to how much you want to.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, RAGE, Rage against the dying of the light"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom