Help - Any ideas before I ditch broken brain? (Zoom G3 is fine...)

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited October 2016 in FX
Something has gone awry with my Zoom G3 - it happened towards the end of a gig last Saturday night. Basically, the push-push switching on the knobs that sit directly below the LCD displays (3 per display) doesn't function anymore - I push on the knobs, but they don't move, and there is no clicking sensation. Otherwise, the unit still works, but I can't get into the menus and stuff to change parameters etc.

I think it probably happened as a result of me being a bit clumsy-footed, and making accidental heavy contact with one or more of the knobs when switching an effect on/off. I've had a look inside the unit, but it doesn't look like I can do anything, and the affected push-push knobs seem to be held inside an inaccessible sealed unit, so possibly impossible to get at.

Anyhow, I seem to have become somewhat addicted to the G3 as a central part of my pedal board, so if it can't be fixed (which does seem likely to be honest) I will have to be looking at shelling out for another one (and then being more careful when switching in future). But just in case, I thought I'd consult the wisdom of this fine forum to see if anyone's had the same issue, and knows a way to fix it, cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Odd... I don't remember my one having that feature, I thought you just turned the knobs to engage each one. I may be wrong though! I assume you've tried that and it does nothing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    ICBM said:
    Odd... I don't remember my one having that feature, I thought you just turned the knobs to engage each one. I may be wrong though! I assume you've tried that and it does nothing.
    Cheers @ICBM The knobs do still turn OK, and you're right about that allowing some access. But there definitely was/is a push-push function on there - depending on the mode one is in, that does various things. One example is if there is more than one page of parameters for an effect, then pushing on the right hand knob scrolls through the pages, and then back to the effect illustration screen.
    And... just did a bit of checking and I think I must have had an extended brain fart. Very embarrassing really, but looking through the G3 manual, there is no mention of a push-push function for the parameter knobs, so your memory is correct @ICBN. I do also have an MS70-CDR on the board, where the knobs do do that, so that must be where the confusion came from. But still, it all seems a bit weird - for a while there I could have sworn... it's like waking up in a slightly different reality. Bit early in life to be going senile, I'll just put it down to stress I think. At least the G3 is alright anyway! :D
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    That's the Mandela effect! :-)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's the Mandela effect! :-)
    Indeed! :D