New Adam Curtis doc "Hypernormalisation"

What's Hot

In summary: you're all living a lie, nothing is real, corporations and elites beyond our control run everything, the system has given up on the use of politics to effect social change... here's Tom with the weather! Genuinely amazing stuff, the interlinking of world events and modern history, the editing, the quality of footage, the soundtracking... sublime.

If you fancy 2 hours 40 minutes of AC's calm voice telling you that you have never & will never be in control of your own life and everything you see and hear is a lie....this is the film for you, kids! If the type of film you like involves a former basketball player throwing a custard pie at a jive-talking cartoon otter....this ain't for you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Ooh. Sounds like a nice fantasy type film, maybe like Labyrinth without Bowie.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This sort of "you have no control" theory is really just a substitute for religion. It hands people the right to stop caring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited October 2016
    Ooh. Sounds like a nice fantasy type film, maybe like Labyrinth without Bowie.
    AC has being doing amazing documentaries for years, definitely worth looking at The Power Of Nightmares as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I must admit I should watch before judging. :-)

But it does sound like a lazy way out of living a worthwhile life, something for people to pour their frustrations into. In my view we will only really be fully civilised when we stop needing this type of theorising.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    edited October 2016
    I think there is some lack of perspective with this "no control" stuff. People have never really been in control in the grand scheme of things. We can't be, simply because we rely upon their being some sort of collective operation to get things done that we can't do alone. At a base level, providing clean water, treating waste and building a home is not so easy.

sure you can do it, but we like all the trappings that come with living in a system. Healthcare, Transport, commodities etc. Films like this just say, hey why be happy when you can open your eyes and be unhappy.

I can't be unhappy with my lot, I really can't. Even if I'm not in total control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    Take the red pill....!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2016
    I think there is some lack of perspective with this "no control" stuff. People have never really been in control in the grand scheme of things. We can't be, simply because we rely upon their being some sort of collective operation to get things done that we can't do alone.

I can't be unhappy with my lot, I really can't. Even if I'm not in total control.
    Exactly this, this no control philosophy and even the Matrix mentality is the basically the result of secular excess in modern society where no man can function alone, it's a marker of how well things are going, rather than the exact opposite and I've yet to meet an idle rich man.

It's like those silicon valley types trying to tell me the world isn't real.  It seemed pretty real last night walking back in the moonlight and the mist listening to the deer rutting.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited October 2016
    Sambostar said:
    I think there is some lack of perspective with this "no control" stuff. People have never really been in control in the grand scheme of things. We can't be, simply because we rely upon their being some sort of collective operation to get things done that we can't do alone.

Exactly this, this no control philosophy and even the Matrix mentality is the basically the result of secular excess in modern society where no man can function alone, it's a marker of how well things are going, rather than the exact opposite and I've yet to meet an idle rich man.

It's like those silicon valley types trying to tell me the world isn't real.  It seemed pretty real last night walking back in the moonlight and the mist listening to the deer rutting.

It really is worth watching, though. I'm not saying I wholly adhere to his arguments, but it's argued very well and it's stunningly well-made film.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I'II give it a go eh.  This has the same plot but it's a lot shorter.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Ooo thanks for the heads up, I love Adam Curtis!

I think Bitter Lake is still on iPlayer. That is brilliant, but disturbing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Each to their own obviously but all this stuff makes me realise that some people have FAR too much time on their hands
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Long story short - life is shit.
  • Each to their own obviously but all this stuff makes me realise that some people have FAR too much time on their hands

?

?
    'Sup mush?
    How very rock and roll

?
    'Sup mush?

Not bad, laddie... just wondering if you meant Curtis, the people in the film, the folk who watch his films...
  • I'm not sure I'd narrow it down tbh. Anyone who has enough time to worry about this sort of nonsense. Funny as it may be I just wanna give these people a wobble 
    How very rock and roll
  • I suppose you could argue that if AC's theory holds, that no matter what we do as a society, an elite will be on complete control of your life, then there's no point in worrying about something you can never change.
  • Yeah? So can I wobble people or not? ;-)
    How very rock and roll
    I suppose you could argue that if AC's theory holds, that no matter what we do as a society, an elite will be on complete control of your life, then there's no point in worrying about something you can never change.
    Exactly. It's an invitation to abdicate responsibility for one's life.