Memory Man Tap Tempo 550 vs 1100

What's Hot
Reckon I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these next month, has anyone tried them both and is able to offer a recommendation? 

I nearly always use 8th note delays so I think the 550 will have enough time for most of my needs (I have a tap tempo digital delay too) but I have heard comments that the 1100 sounds better. If so does it sound significantly better to justify the extra cost?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    nope. there is no significant sound quality difference imo. It's all about delay time 
  • TimmyTimmy Frets: 23
    I own both and the 1100 sounds better, the repeats sound spacious and more reverby than the 550 and for ambient and u2ish stuff it is definitely works better, its allso not as noisy However its hard to tell the difference at lower mix and decay settings, and I actually prefer the 550 for slapback sounds. I would say go for the 1100 if its highgher mix dotted 8h stuff You want it for aslong as its not to expensive, Also I have the older one with Panasonic chips I don't know what the newone sounds like
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    I've owned both, and currently own the new version with the new chips. At around 300ms they sound identical. Where the 1100 is better though is that at 500ms the delay has more headroom than the 550 version which is close to its maximum delay time (hence degraded quality in the repeats) however this has a charm in itself so really it's horses for courses. 

Bear in mind there is a lot of difference even between two of the same pedals owing to the variability of chips etc. So if people are hearing noises in the 550 versus the 1100 it could well be due to that pedal not quite being up to scratch/ dialled  in.

I thought both pedals were well done, so really it's up to you to decide side by side if you can. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the input, just scored a 1100 on eBay!