Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chuck Berry isn't dead and Phil Collins is coming back!!

What's Hot
cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
Not sure which surprised me more
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2360
    FFS 2016, haven't we had enough bad news already?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Phil's 15 year old son doing the drumming apparently.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm happy for Chuck Berry, but it's not all good news, is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Phil is an epic musician. I understand the hate for some music but Phil haters just baffle me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil is an epic musician. I understand the hate for some music but Phil haters just baffle me.
    How is he epic?  Don't have a problem with the guy, but he's no Ritchie Blackmore. 
  • Sorry does this Phil Collins related news mean that he's returning to the stu-stu-studio?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Phil is an epic musician. I understand the hate for some music but Phil haters just baffle me.
    It's all that pop pish he made after the first solo album and went into acting.

I once had a drummer who would wear a Phil Collins T-shirt to gigs, both because he was a fan and probably because he wanted to see if someone would dare to take the piss... he was a rather powerfully-built guy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    How is he epic?  Don't have a problem with the guy, but he's no Ritchie Blackmore. 
    I'm not going to criticize Blackmore because he's epic too but when Phil's stuff comes on at my Power Ballad nights I'm always up on the floor. Writer and performer. He knows how to make music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Agreed - he played with British Weather Report-esque jazz-rockers Brand X and on a couple of later John Martyn albums (the second one 'Glorious Fool' he produced as well). He produced Eric Clapton's Behind the Sun and pretty much revived his career - coaxing some of the best-ever playing out of him.

Not wild about his poppier solo stuff - but he is a great musician.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Maybe a good musician technically but he should still be on trial for crimes against music. Never heard anything from his solo stuff that wasn't utter tosh of the first order.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Didn't Phil Collins front Buddy Rich's Orchestra after he died? I thought that was took some front!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    DrJazzTap said:
    Didn't Phil Collins front Buddy Rich's Orchestra after he died? I thought that was took some front!
    I think you're mistaken. I know Buddy Rich depped with Genesis after PC left - but not the other way round, as far as I know....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited October 2016
    Didn't Neil Peart do a stint with the Buddy Rich band. Is that who Phil Collins is being mistaken for?

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    Phil was good in Genesis. He recorded drums for Peter Gabriel and (I believe) Tears For Fears and probably many more. His early solo stuff was good but went lame when he went more pop and moved in to acting.

Sold a ton of chocolate though.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    DrJazzTap said:
    I think you're mistaken. I know Buddy Rich depped with Genesis after PC left - but not the other way round, as far as I know....
    ah I just remembered my old drummer getting wound up by it. Slightly different he played at the buddy rich memorial.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-salute-to-buddy-rich-mw0001149124

Although Phil did form his own big band and performed big band versions of his songs. ..
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Phil Collins should be best known for the HILARIOUS overacting and facial expressions in the video for 'Mama'.

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!" *parp*

Oh but he did write some crackers in his day with Genesis, especially the track mentioned above. Majority of his solo stuff is utter gash though. My parents were (are) big fans. Hideous.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    He was in a pretty good band and went on to do some truly dreadful solo stuff. I'd say he was exactly like Ritchie Blackmore...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11341
    I don't understand all of the hostility towards Phil Collins.

Okay, he may never have World Speedway final, but he was a decent rider nonetheless.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7814
    I also don't get the Phil hate, he's was a pretty good drummer. and some of his genisis stuff was cool Like most musicians he simply got dull as the years went by. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    scrumhalf said:
    I don't understand all of the hostility towards Phil Collins.

Okay, he may never have World Speedway final, but he was a decent rider nonetheless.
    He made some damn fine burgers though.