Fender Tweed sounds around the 400 mark

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
Anyone Suggest an amp for tweed type sounds around the 400 mark. Im not really interested in EL84's. Other than building one what are my options?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Blues Deluxe, or even a Hotrod if you don't mind black tolex - or can find a Tweed one, although they tend to sell for a bit more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Im not bothered about cosmetics ie tweed. I suppose i'd be looking at something around 5-15 watts ideally, how are the bass breaker things?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    A used Cornell Romany might be the ticket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Egnater Tweaker? I'm assuming the USA mode is Fender based though I've never played one.

As I have a serious case of man flu, I've spent most of the night watching you tube demos and reading the opinions of various Americans. Think the Pawn shop excelsior is winning so far, seems to break up quite early and would pair well with my AC15. 
  • wayneirie said:
    As I have a serious case of man flu, I've spent most of the night watching you tube demos and reading the opinions of various Americans. Think the Pawn shop excelsior is winning so far, seems to break up quite early and would pair well with my AC15. 
    Good luck finding one of those though. They were a "limited" run and seemed to sell out very quick. They don't seem to come up on the 2nd hand market much either
    How very rock and roll
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    wayneirie said:
    Good luck finding one of those though. They were a "limited" run and seemed to sell out very quick. They don't seem to come up on the 2nd hand market much either

I think I saw one on a Facebook group recently, let me see if I can find it. 
  • Blues deluxe. Really liked mine.
    I know there's two on eBay at the minute though, I'm not quite ready to buy it yet. Probably wait til next month.
    The Excelsior can sound great but has some build quality issues, including a tendency to rattle badly, being a complete pain in the backside to work on and extremely valve-sensitive - affecting how well the tremolo works.

If you get a good one, great... @koneguitarist seems to have. I would definitely try before you buy though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited October 2016
    ^ yeah the one i had sounded good but it rattled badly when you hit a "D" chord. the rattle disappeared through a different cab, but half the reason i bought one was for the 15" speaker. I sent it back when the "repair" actually made the original problem worse.

some of the vht amps can sound a bit tweedy with the boost engaged. QC might be patchy on them, though- my first was faulty, I had yet another of those enjoyable "repair" situations with it where it came back without the problem fixed but with the preamp valve changed (which I'd already tried and had ascertained hadn't fixed the problem, where the fuck do they hire these techs from!?!?! playing through the blasted thing for 10 seconds, when aware of the original fault, would have shown it still remained... which was also true of the excelsior problem p ) and the pots cleaned, and then returned it again to get a replacement which did work fine.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Thoroughly recommend the Fender Blues Deluxe.  I have the original and haven't tried the reissue but I love it....looks, sound - I've even come to appreciate the Drive channel (but there isn't masses of drive).  The cleans and Clean channel are great, as is the reverb.  They're keen to be loud but I really like mine at low volumes (but you have to have a very sensitive/light finger) but great when opened up the way they were designed to be.  Tweed through and through.  
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    @wayneirie - I have no connection to this item but it looks quite nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131970343829

R.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    Jeremiah said:
    Egnater Tweaker? I'm assuming the USA mode is Fender based though I've never played one.

Really versatile amp that does Tweedy/Marshally crunch very nicely. Powerful EQ, takes 6l6/6v6/el34s, 15w. It does what the OP wants and then some.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    @wayneirie - I have no connection to this item but it looks quite nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131970343829
    In fact, the more I look at that, the more I consider bidding myself! :)

R.
  • Should be able to pickup a used Cornell Romany for about that.

I've got a Romany Pro with the spring reverb, larger cab, and 12" speaker and it's quite honestly the best amp I've ever owned; bit weird to say but it's the first one that really feels like an instrument rather than something that makes good sounds.

i did have a normal Romany about 7 years back but I never got the chance to play it in anger, and also was very reliant on multi fx back then. The pro is an amp I'll grow old with.
  • Should be able to pickup a used Cornell Romany for about that.

I've got a Romany Pro with the spring reverb, larger cab, and 12" speaker and it's quite honestly the best amp I've ever owned; bit weird to say but it's the first one that really feels like an instrument rather than something that makes good sounds.

i did have a normal Romany about 7 years back but I never got the chance to play it in anger, and also was very reliant on multi fx back then. The pro is an amp I'll grow old with.
    If it was my money I'd be looking for a Romany Plus- IMO the differences from the standard Romany (bigger cab, 12" speaker vs 10", spring reverb) are worth the extra spends, but it would likely put a used one out of the OP's budget. Not necessarily by much if he's patient though...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Just for what it's worth, it's actually possible to convert a Blues Deluxe to run on 6V6s if you want lower power. The HT voltage is fairly high for them, but no more so than a Deluxe Reverb. You need to reduce the bias voltage and possibly fit a 16-ohm speaker - although if you want more of a flubby 'Deluxe' sound leaving it at 8 ohm may be better. That will drop the power to around 15-20W.