Podcast: Amps and Axes

What's Hot
I've been listening to the Amps and Axes podcast for a while - never really got into the whole podcast thing before but a bit of searching for guitar related items pointed me to this one.

It's really enjoyable, not too geeky, just two enthusiastic chaps - one is an ampmaker, the other a player/engineer - chatting about latest guitar happenings with the main chunk of the show taken up with a guest interview.

The guests cover a fairly wide range but there is definitely a slight bias towards the 80s shred bods, and one of the presenters makes no secret that he is/was a fan of the Mike Varney and Shrapnel stable, but that works for me too! Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Richie Kotzen amongst others have all been on and the interviews tend to run for around an hour.

Anyway, this seems to have turned into some kind of review (no affiliation here I promise!), but I'd recommend you check it out if it sounds like your bag.

Any other guitar related podcasts I should be having a listen to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Wow, thanks, sounds right up my street!

Check out:

The Double Stop

No Guitar Is Safe

GuitarWank

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you like heavier rock/metal and are interested in recording check out Unstoppable Recording Machine. It is recording focused but there are a lot of really interesting discussions on there, most guests are guitarists too.

https://urm.academy/category/podcast/

These are also on YouTube under their channel if that is easier for anyone.

@guitarfishbay Ooh, that looks good, too! Thanks!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    You should definitely check out "No Guitar Is Safe", extended interviews and jams with a huge range of guitarists in loads of styles.  Learnt a lot listening to the ones with guys I've never heard of .... and learnt some new stuff from the guys I did know.

@Bezzer Wis'd! I'm still working my way through all of those, but I've listened to everything put out so far by both of the other podcasts in my post ^^ and enjoyed some episodes with guys I'd never heard of before more than those with my heroes.

Currently listening to NGIS with Jared Scharff.

This is immense:

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    DLM said:

Wow, thanks, sounds right up my street!

Check out:

The Double Stop

No Guitar Is Safe

GuitarWank

Cheers for the heads up!  Good to know some others.
    Like @Tuscan777 I arrived on Amps and Axes recently and it's the only guitar podcast I'd found, or looked for.  Just found it as I was googling a favourite guitarist.  Mind you, that interview was unbelievably techie and geeky!

I love podcasts -- great when you find a good series.  The only problem I have with them now is time to listen.
    Grunfeld said:
    Like @Tuscan777 I arrived on Amps and Axes recently and it's the only guitar podcast I'd found, or looked for.  Just found it as I was googling a favourite guitarist.  Mind you, that interview was unbelievably techie and geeky!

@Grunfeld I think you'll love some of the Double Stop stuff!

I've enthused about it a couple of times already on here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/52657/joey-tafolla-a-rediscovery#latest

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54080/awesome-podcast-of-interviews-with-musicians-biz-people-the-double-stop-with-brian-sword#latest

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 586

@DLM sorry, I didn't register you'd mentioned NGIS ... going to add your recommendations to my list.  The Jared Scharff one was great, gives a proper understanding of jobbing muso.

@Bezzer I think you've got Double Stop and NGIS confused. I've only mentioned the latter in passing on here, not done a thread. It needs one, maybe I'll make one!

I was a bit disappointed to get no replies on my Double Stop thread on here. Brian Sword himself showed up on the one I made on Metalguitarist after a while! :) Sadly, he seems to have dropped off the radar, moved back into the wilds of Canada from the city... Maybe he's been eaten by a bear?

Another Podcast I've tried that was pretty good was Guitarnoize, not checked in on that one for a while. Sometimes Jamey Jasta has interesting guitar guests, though the talk is more of a general nature.