Vox ac4hw with a les Paul ?

What's Hot
Just wondered if anyone had anyone had any experience of using one of these to get a thick blues tone with a les  Paul 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    I think the AC4HW is a top boost preamp without a cut control into a single EL84 power stage.  I'm not sure a top boost Vox would be my first choice for a 'thick blues tone', but I'm sure there are plenty of LP into AC15/AC30 clips on Youtube that'll give you a general idea of how it might sound.

• Thanks for the reply Dodge. The deafening silence kinda answers my question.

Right, cross that one off my list then.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I tried a Cornell (Romany I think) a few months ago and came away thinking 'If I ever find myself playing in a blues band...'  
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Thanks for the reply Dodge. The deafening silence kinda answers my question.

Right, cross that one off my list then.
    It might work, depends on what you consider is a thick blues sound. For me, Vox top boost type amps are edgy and snarl when they overdrive. Still a great tone though.

Rory Gallagher used AC30s and he wasn't a bad blues player!

When someone says thick blues tone, I'm thinking vintage Marshall, or tweed Fender. For a scooped blues tone a la SRV, a blackface Fender would be my choice.

You could also go and audition a modelling amp of sorts, not necessarily to buy, but theyll likely have a bunch of very different amp models including Vox, Fender and Marshall. It'll certainly get you an idea of what style amp gives you what you want to hear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    Try a Fender Blues Deluxe :)
  • Lez325 said:
    Try a Fender Blues Deluxe :)
    That is a bit like saying somebody should try a Saloon Car when they are looking for a small car?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    edited October 2016
    The reason I mentioned the AC4HW is because in this video at about the 12:00 mark Lee makes a pretty good (IMO) blues sound out of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiARYerpFv4

And in this video Bernie is playing his LP into a vintage AC4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAquAv-oLE

All sounds pretty reasonable to me
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I wouldn't take a vintage AC4 as anything to go by - apart from the name and the power valve it has almost nothing in common with the AC4HW. Completely different circuit, preamp valve type, speaker size… everything really. From 1'07" onwards he must be using a pedal, too - no way you could get that sound out of an original AC4 otherwise.

*Anything* would sound good with that Les Paul going through it, anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein