Method Acting

What's Hot
"Method acting". Is there any better performances out there without it? 

Daniel Day-Lewis, Bob De Niro, Heath Ledger. Anne Hathaway, Sacha Baron Cohen to name a few produce this way.  When I say "better" I guess I actually mean "more convincing". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    The lad in The Machinist too. What's his name again?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Deijavoo said:
    Christian Bale bruuvvvv!
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    On the otherhand, Jared Leto's joker. 

Method acting was all he talked about in the run up to suicide squad and it tramspired to be a pile of poo, Leto's performance included. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dustin Hoffman is another famous proponent.. wonder if that's why Hook is so good?  ;)
    There are many great actors who don't do it, several have criticised it as being unhealthy or unnecessary. 
    Nicolas Cage said "there's a thin line between method acting & schizophrenia". 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Couple of years ago there was a documentary on radio 4 about it. Seems to very much lean on tapping into your own experience. Reliving your own worst experiences every time you have to play sad didn't seem much fun.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    edited October 2016
     :/ 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Dustin Hoffman is another famous proponent.. wonder if that's why Hook is so good?  ;)
    There are many great actors who don't do it, several have criticised it as being unhealthy or unnecessary. 

Suffer for my mild entertainment. Works for me.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Christian Bale bruuvvvv!
    That's the lad. What a film. Although he should have done it all in his Batman voice.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    There are tons of great performances done without it. Spacey does it apparently but Michael Caine ("she was only... fifteen") does not. I love a good believable performance - a lot of the illusion comes from how the other actors react I'd imagine too.

What about method guitar playing?  
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72677

There is when you're Nicholas Coppola and you're trying to convince the world that you didn't get to be a star because of uncle Francis.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6187
    I don't know if they are/were method actors but the two the have always impressed me are Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Also the young Al Pacino before he got all shouty.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12438
    edited October 2016
    There's the great story about Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier when they made Marathon Man. Hoffman was a fan of method acting and had stayed awake for 72 hours straight to get into the right frame of mind for one scene. Olivier was not impressed and said "why don't you just try acting, dear boy?"  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7803
    Cate Blanchette doesn't do method
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited October 2016
    I don't think Michael Caine does it, hence his cockney German Commandant in the Eagle has Landed.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30952
    Trump too. For anyone to think you're that stupid is a hell of an achievement.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11357
    Lawrence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man:

Upon being asked by his co-star how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours to achieve emotional verisimilitude. “My dear boy,” replied Olivier smoothly, “why don’t you just try acting?”

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12438
    scrumhalf said:
    Lawrence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man:

Upon being asked by his co-star how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours to achieve emotional verisimilitude. “My dear boy,” replied Olivier smoothly, “why don’t you just try acting?”

Errr. Look a few posts up.  ;)
  • Dustin Hoffman is another famous proponent.. wonder if that's why Hook is so good?  ;)

I think the fact that Cage doesn't do it is a strong argument for the OP hypothesis personally
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited October 2016
    Olivier's point was that method acting calls on the actor's similar prior personal experience whereas traditional acting calls on the actor's imagination.  He thought it unnecessary to be constrained by personal experience.

Both are viable foundations, but both additionally need the actor to convince the audience.  A personal history of wide and deep emotional experience doesn't automatically make that person an actor.
  • Both pale into insignificance when compared to the quality of the CGI and who's on the soundtrack.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom