SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Fretboarders with Gretsch G6136T or G6119T?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
edited October 2016 in Guitars £
Thinking of buying a Gretsch semi -- would need to trade/sell my CS Strat, but need some advice as this would be a keeper. Had a Gibson 335 63RI that was great, but Bigsby needed for sure.
Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What do you mean by players models?
    Are you meaning the professional series guitars. 
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Think so - G6136T or G6119T look great - but I am new to this make. Anyone own one?
    Jon
  • JonHosker said:
    Think so - G6136T or G6119T look great - but I am new to this make. Anyone own one?

I own almost 20 of them so what do you waht to know?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7899
    Lots to chose from.  

Do you want a small or large body guitar.  Small would be LP size, Hollow, chambered, or centre block? For high gain, low gain, or clean work?

Bigsby or hard tail?

if hollow, how deep? 1 inch to 3+ Inches deep?

Pickups. Single coil twang, or humbucker grind/bite?  Underwound or hot output?

Colours. Muted, classic, of flashy? No bindibg, binding, sparkly binding... bound/unbound neck?

Timescale?

Anything specific you need/want/feature set? Neck profile? Fretboard radius?

General advice.  The budget streamlined series are good budget guitars, but not really much like any Gretsch gone before them. 
    The Electromatic's are good, but all require some fettling to become great. look for Electromatics with all the mods done, they are good used buys as upgrades do not get you any more money in the used market. 

It if you buy an Electromatic, and upgrade it, the money you would spend in total would be close to that of a used Pro Line.  Just buy the pro line. 

I'm a Gretsch fan boy, I bought my first one in 2006, and have had dozens in my collection, and hundreds in my hands.  

Best buys? A good time to buy is usually after NAMM. Gretsch build lots of special units for the show, and they turn up on auction sites at very reasonable prices shortly after, dealers clear them through quickly.  But, the £ Vs $ is not in your favour right now....

Custom Shop models. They are excellent, but stupid expensive, and because of exchange rate, likely to get much more expensive.   however, that price is not reflected on the used market.  

I have a custom shop Anniversary, everyone who plays it is blown away by it. It's angry and fierce sounding compared to the average Gretsch.  I bought it used for not much more than a used Japanese Anniversary.  It's my number one guitar, will never part with this one....

So, if you have the money and patience, stalk eBayfir the right Custom Shop model at the right price. You can find them for as low as £2k, average selling price being £3K ish..

Cheers

Marlin
  • It's like buying anything it's all down to personal taste but If you can try to get out n play all the different ranges n models that will give you a good idea of what's on offer.

Most shops only carry a few pro lines, so unless you travel the length and breadth of the country (or have access to an astonishing collection), that's difficult to do. 

What i will say is, I went into PMT IN Birmingham to buy a Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod, and walked out with an Annie. I just picked up the Annie white the sales guy went off to find the Hot Rod, it just blew all the others Gretsches away.  But, that my preference, I like a 12" radius, and unbound neck. I've had more Annie's than any other Gretsch (except maybe Corvettes)....

M :)
    Thanks for the comments.
    Will keep pondering. Jon
  • JonHosker said:
    Thanks for the comments.
    Will keep pondering. Jon
    If you ever passing through West Yorkshire your welcome to call in n play the few I have.

Thanks - great offer 
    Jon
    He's being modest. He's a one man Gretsch museum. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom