How much would Marshall T652 reissue alnico speakers be worth??

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
edited October 2016 in Amps
I've just come into a couple of them and have an option on the full quad. Think they were only made for the anniversary offset Marshall JTM45? Thought and rampant conjecture welcome!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anyone??
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    No idea really, but I would have thought the value of a Celestion Blue plus 50% would be a reasonable place to start. They should be essentially the same speaker, but with added rarity and speciality factor, which would matter if you were doing something like restoring or putting together a repro 60s Marshall combo.

You did want conjecture :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 550 is optimistic in my opinion but you might get lucky if someone wants them badly enough ;)

I have been looking for a quad of those for ages but no way am I paying £1100 for a set. I have bought original quads for less than that. I think around 150 to 200 each is probably more realistic, like ICBM says they are basically an alnico blue, but are that bit cooler for vintage marshall fans who know about those speakers. The problem is that is a very small niche, and even amongst vintage Marshall collectors a lot of them do not know much about speakers.

I think I read somewhere that the reissues are slightly different in spec to the blue (although to be vintage correct they shouldn't be), and may also be different depending on what year they were made, or what they were made for.

Definitely cool speakers to have though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It certainly is an optimistic punt - just thought I'd give it a go at that price and see what happened. I'm getting hold of the other pair though so I might let them go for £850ish for the quad if that seems like a better propersition? They're stamped 16ohm so some differences exist between these and blues other than cosmetics. 
  • I can't pay that much for them myself. But you might find a buyer in usa. I have offered 650 for 40th anniversary B cabs in the classifieds on here in the last year or two. That's with the cab included. Although both times the sellers changed their minds and didnt want to split the stack. So around 500 for the quad and i might be tempted, but understand if you want to hold out for more. 
  • I think they're definitely worth more than £500 so will be holding out for a bit at least - £500 would be a great price for a quad of Blues so I think the element of relative rareness and collectability can make the value increase a little. I advertised it on eBay at a high price to see what interest is like so I'm happy to wait a little while to see how they get on before I start dropping them down. Cheers for the opinion though - I'm still piecing together what sort of demand is out there and every little helps! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    edited October 2016
    Yes, I would say they're worth more than that to someone who wants them. Blues seem to be up to about £200 new, so that's probably still fair for these second hand if they're in perfect condition. I'm not sure whether having a quad affects the value in any way other than simply four times the price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The JTM45/100 stacks that had these in them seem to sell for around 2.5k, so if the speakers are worth £1600 you're getting a cool amp and 2 (empty) cabs for a bargain. The A cabs with the split / open back are extremely cool, even if they have the historically correct / not much actual use handles.
  • To be very clear, the £550 is for a PAIR. 
  • I was also talking about £850 for a quad. 
  • Just to say thanks for the info guys - I got the other pair earlier today and will sell them either as pairs or a quad at a more affordable price on here but I'll probably aim higher on eBay for the full set. They're great sounding speakers whatever they are or are worth, so that's something - bean listening to Beano today and it's the same vibe wth my MJW V6. Lovely clean and slight breakup, marmite overdriven. Anyone interested is free to contact and make offers. Thanks!
  • Perhaps keep a pair for yourself. If you like them they will be difficult to replace. I've been looking out for them for a while. Couple of 40th cabs came up here on the forum but thats been about it. They tend to stay in the thing they are in, as its all the limited edition Marshall stuff.

I do like those 40th B cabs. Someone on the Marshall forum added some EC pinstripe to one and it looked amazing. They are good cabs.
  • I did consider keeping some but playing these has made me remember that, for me, I'd always mix an alnico with a firmer/darker ceramic and that would be a real waste of these speakers. I'm recording next week so will probably load a pair into a spare Zilla cab for the cleans. Just got my old MJW Electra back from my cousin for the occasion - looking forward to that combination!!