Any suggestions how this wood effect is done

What's Hot

As I am in the planning stage for the Superstrat this Luxxtone caught my eye, any idea how they contoured along the grain I presume it was by hand or with a dremel and between the grain lines sanded or carved. Doubt I will find a piece of pine with such pinstriped grain but I like the look and texture it adds. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Sandblasting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    Sandblasting is often used to achieve that effect.   A similar look without the contouring could be done using colour and grainfiller.  
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    Wipe on, wipe off.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16891
    yeah, just looks like a sand back to me.  I have had that look every time i have had to sand back a stain on ash. 

Your big issue will be getting it to look consistent like that.

I would suggest a waterbased stain as it will swell the summer wood more than the winter wood.  

Test on scrap, whatever you do
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1802
    Not sure I can fine such even grained wood so WezV you think the raised area is simply wood swelling from water based. 
    Not necessarily.  I suspect that example has been lightly sandblasted as others have said.  But I think you could replicate at home with the right stain and sanding technique, it's going to need some trials before you settle on a method 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    A body I made look very similar to that after I rubbed on the first coat of black woodstain. I was concerned I had put too much on so rubbed it off again, but the stain had sunk in to the porous grain more than the denser grain, hence the effect. The same would be achieved by sanding back, the stain will be deeper by the grain edges so won't sand out giving you the fade.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1092
    Nice finish i remember seeing the same kind of effect done with Ash and black dye on Fbasse's i think they called it a Voodoo/juju finish

Floyd rose on a pine body with out some kind of reinforcement around the studs....wow brave
    Gizmo said:
    Nice finish i remember seeing the same kind of effect done with Ash and black dye on Fbasse's i think they called it a Voodoo/juju finish

Floyd rose on a pine body with out some kind of reinforcement around the studs....wow brave
    You sure it's pine?  Looks like ash to me
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1092
    WezV said:

Yep i thought i was ash at first but Spec says Pine

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/luxxtone-el-machete-vintage-denim-120/#quick-spec

Gizmo said:
    WezV said:

Yep i thought i was ash at first but Spec says Pine

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/luxxtone-el-machete-vintage-denim-120/#quick-spec

yeah, just found that.   how odd.

Looking at some of the other Luxxtone's i would say they definitely have use of a sandblaster
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6813
    edited October 2016
    Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjvoU9Bi3U

and the follow up straight afterwards

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    I've done that effect before. I simply stained the wood then used a plastic media shot blast cabinet to 'remove' the finish. Then I stained it again and gave it a flatting back with wet and dry on a block. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4315
    You can achieve that with porous wood by applying the stain (I used spirit stain on birdseye maple) with wire wool. As you apply you also remove, so it only accumulates in the porous grain. 

Now that pic.also shows the end grain in the lower cutout and to get that you'll need to sand afterwards.