5 way wiring question ...

I have a p90 in the neck position, an SC in the middle and a HB in the bridge. The HB can be split and the P90 has a wire that gives it a slightly lower output.

Here's my question - is it possible to wire it to the 5-way so that the 2nd position gives just one HB coil with the SC, and position 4 gives the SC with the lower output of the p90? Retaining full output in positions 1 & 5.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11692
    tFB Trader
    The humbucker split is easy but the P90 option may not be possible with a regular 5 way as you need to switch the hot rather than shorting the coil split to earth

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    The humbucker split is easy but the P90 option may not be possible with a regular 5 way as you need to switch the hot rather than shorting the coil split to earth
    How would I do the HB?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    It is possible, but you may need to rewire all three pickups so they're "upside down" in electrical terms - that will allow you to tap the P90 by connecting it to ground and avoid the problem @FelineGuitars mentioned. This might be an issue too, depending on what wires are used for the three pickups - it's possible that you'd need to take the P90 apart and rewire it, for example.

However, if it's a single-volume-control guitar you can do it without any of that by using the Ibanez-type switching but with the coil split connection (middle terminal on the second side of the switch) going to hot instead of ground.

Then that may cause further fun depending on which coil of the HB you want to remain on, but even that can be fixed if it has four-conductor cable.

Bottom line: yes it can be done. Full answer: with varying degrees of difficulty...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hmmnn ..... maybe I'll not go there. Thanks for the replies gents.
    Maybe I put that post in the wrong order... worst options first :).

Starting in the right place - does the guitar have a single volume control? If it does then the whole thing could be very simple.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah, one volume one tone. I can split the HB already with a push pull on the tone so I don't 'need' this, however, I thought it might simplify things as I only use position 2 with the HB split and I never use position 1 unless the HB is full. To be honest the p90 isn't really worth bothering about, the change is too subtle for my ears anyway, I just wondered if it might be doable.
    In that case, yes.

Switch side 1 is as normal - rotor to volume control, terminal 1 to neck pickup full, terminal 2 to middle pickup, terminal 3 to bridge pickup full.

Switch side 2 is the same as the Ibanez wiring but with the split to hot instead of ground - no connection to rotor, terminal 1 to neck pickup tap, terminal 2 to volume control, terminal 3 to bridge pickup split.

The only possible problem will be if you get the wrong coil when the HB is split but we can cross that bridge later if necessary.

If you do this you could usefully reuse the push-pull to give the neck + bridge option which you can't get with the 5-way.