Carr Skylark

What's Hot
A couple of people including @Zoolooter have asked me why I've moved on my Carr Skylark so rather than bumping my WTB thread I thought I'd post here.

The Skylark is a fantastic amp.  The cleans were stunning, if a touch on the bright side for my tastes.  With single coils they reminded me of John Frusciante's cleans.  Very moreish!  The attenuation is also great allowing you to dial in lots of tweedy gain at living room (kids sleeping upstairs) levels without losing tone.  The amp is also useable around the house even with the attenuation off as it doesn't get too loud too soon.

I wasn't massively keen on the higher gain tones both attenuated or cranked but found a number of low/medium gain sweet spots.

Personally, I'm a bit more traditional when it comes to the look of the amps but appreciated Steve is trying to offer something different.

Customer service was great.  When the power switch went Steve Carr personally sorted a replacement out with my amp tech.  Top man!

So the reason for moving it on?  Ultimately for me, looks, drive sounds and GAS.  I'd still recommend one to anyone in a heartbeat though!
Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Still loving mine. Great amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Thanks for the info!
    Are you considering getting one, @Zoolooter?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I may have up for grabs soon  :)
  • tone1 said:
    That's a quick turnaround!  What did you think of it?
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    tone1 said:

Well, I had a 'Wanted" add on here for a Skylark for ages with no joy.  Recently purchased a Bogner New Yorker that I'm experimenting with by swapping some of the valves around. If things go to plan I'll be keeping it. If not, I'd definitely be interested in a Skylark again - what colour is it?
    @Zoolooter I'll PM you some pics 
    @ruralfrance very similar to your write up..still not sure whether it going to stay yet as it's the best thing I've ever had at home and I've had a Carr Mercury, Two Rock jet 22, Cornford Carrera x2  :)

These are are pretty good reviews
  • I 'nearly' bought a skylark, 2 things stopped me. 1) the cab cant handle an alnico speaker 2) i found a youtube vid where it gets owned by a 65 princeton reissue. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    I 'nearly' bought a skylark, 2 things stopped me. 1) the cab cant handle an alnico speaker 2) i found a youtube vid where it gets owned by a 65 princeton reissue. 

Having owned both, I can assure you that the Skylark is a better amp. The only reason to opt for a PRRI is if you want pure blackface cleans and nothing else (and you'll have to swap the speaker, transformer and tubes to get it sounding its best).

Being based on a tweed Harvard, the Skylark does a nice cross between tweed and blackface, with a mid control to dial in either, making it flexible, fat or pretty. Sure, it doesn't have that Blackface low end thump and tremolo, but the attenuator and 'hot rod' switch make it a great package. And of course, all the parts are top notch and build quality is bullet proof. Even a tinkerer like me has no desire to try a different speaker, valves etc.

Yes, I'm still in the honeymoon period!

PS. @scovell001 - For my knowledge, why can't an alnico speaker be used?
    edited October 2016
    Cabs probably to small for a Alnico speaker depth wise :)
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    edited October 2016
    Yes, the cab is too small/too much in there. After much deliberation ive decided on lazy j 20, an alnico speaker is far too important to me.
    edited October 2016
    True, it's a tight fit in there! I doubt you'll be disappointed with a Lazy J, what with all the good reviews on here!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9554
    I traded my Skylark for a Lazy J...
    I'd love to try a Lazy J. What does it offer that the Skylark doesn't, @Wazmeister?
  • Lebarque said:
    I'd love to try a Lazy J. What does it offer that the Skylark doesn't, @Wazmeister?
    I had both at the same time.  The Skylark was great for those crisp cleans. Blackface with a bit less bass.  The J20 also has great cleans, less scooped and warmer.  I found the Skylark's cleans more immediately satisfying but ultimately the J20 had the tone I bonded with most.  

The J20's overdrive (for me personally) won hands down but didn't sound great with the attenuator all the way down.  If I wanted a late night widdle the Skylark was the go-to amp.

In the end I kept my J20 for gigs and sold my skylark for an EC Vibro Champ for home use.
    Thanks, @ruralfrance. Have you tracked down a Swamp Thang yet?!
  • Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @ruralfrance. Have you tracked down a Swamp Thang yet?!
    Still on the wish list but not needed at the moment as both amps have onboard trem...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9554
    Lebarque said:
    I had both at the same time.  The Skylark was great for those crisp cleans. Blackface with a bit less bass.  The J20 also has great cleans, less scooped and warmer.  I found the Skylark's cleans more immediately satisfying but ultimately the J20 had the tone I bonded with most.  

The J20's overdrive (for me personally) won hands down but didn't sound great with the attenuator all the way down.  If I wanted a late night widdle the Skylark was the go-to amp.

In the end I kept my J20 for gigs and sold my skylark for an EC Vibro Champ for home use.
    A perfect and accurate summary !
  • ruralfranceruralfrance Frets: 40
    edited October 2016
    Think I might have had your old Skylark @Wazmeister (serial 0165, slub and gator)?