Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss Addiction

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1748

This has become a problem now.

Every time I see one that I haven't got for sale and it's going cheap I buy it. I've absolutely no need for an OS2 but it was £20 - and I don't have one.

I've even started looking at how many  there actually are and can I collect them all?

Someone please help me - before I get someone in the states to order me an all Black DS-1 next month.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I can really understand the attraction mind. They do look all cute in their various colours, sitting on a pedal board, or even just stacked on a shelf in their boxes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited October 2016
    There was a guy on the old HRI forum who collected all of the Boss pedals - 

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97175

His YT channel has some demos and he seems to have sold his pedals off...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    dogload said:
    I can really understand the attraction mind. They do look all cute in their various colours, sitting on a pedal board, or even just stacked on a shelf in their boxes. 
    But you'd need at least three of each so you can organise them in different ways.

1) By colour
    2) Alphabetically
    3) In signal chain order

There are, I am sure, many other worthy orders.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Would you like my MT-2 to add to your collection? ;)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1748
    Maynehead said:

Yes please - I do need one just because it's there
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6091
    edited October 2016
    I reached 40 (pedals not years) before I came to my senses.  That said, I still find it hard to pass on a minty 1 series. Something about that shade of green in the first series Phasers. I still looking longingly at the SP-1 Spectrum but I've never been so totally off my trolley as to buy one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    gubble said:
    Maynehead said:

Yes please - I do need one just because it's there
    Are you serious?

£25 delivered :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I can think of more harmful addictions.

They turn out good pedals, for the most part.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I really like some of them. I wouldn't get rid of my DD3 or my CE5. However, I did get rid of my beloved orange little thing: the DS1. Changed that one for two tiny beauties: Solo and Hustle Drive. Aye, a new addiction: Mooer.
  • Someone was selling a collection of about 40 Boss pedals on eBay recently, so you're not alone!
  • I feel your pain.

I've somehow ended up with a lot of the drives...  Thankfully I don't really like modulation pedals too much so I'm not going to collect them all...  One day I'll get an OC2 though!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Boss TU-2?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    I think I've owned about a hundred of them, although not all at once. The most at the same time was probably about twenty or so. But I'm seriously thinking about going back down that path - there are a few really good ones that I've had and now miss.

In my opinion they are still the best pedals ever made, overall. Not everything they do is great, but there are almost no real duds and there are a few that are genuinely unbeatable. Their reliability and ease of being used in almost any combination without problems or power supply issues is something all other pedal manufacturers should note.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OS-2 is a fab pedal, probably my favourite Boss pedal. I have one with a 9v battery in that I used to take to gigs as an emergency spare in case the pedalboard had power or cabling issues, or I had to use some shitty amp that couldn't be relied upon to  have a decent distortion tone.
  • ICBM said:
    In my opinion they are still the best pedals ever made, overall. Not everything they do is great, but there are almost no real duds and there are a few that are genuinely unbeatable?
    Which are the ones you consider to be unbeatable?  Are there any you miss selling over the others?  

I've owned a DD-5 for about 20 years, and it's never had even the slightest problem in that time.  
  • I always fancied building up a small Boss-only board...and why not? They're built like wee titanium Fort Knoxes, they sound good and 1000s of pros use them.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Got a MIJ Black Label CS-2 in the classifieds ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6091
    edited October 2016
    John_A said:
    Got a MIJ Black Label CS-2 in the classifieds
    I've just returned to the CS-2 for bass. I read a lot of stuff about it being a CS-3 minus tone control but I've never got the soft slightly chimey sound the CS-2 gives from the CS-3. Plus it seems to make harmonics really ring out. A lovely comp.

Other indispensable Boss pedals are the FT-2 and HF-2.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    edited October 2016
    I have no Bosses on my board, had 3 (df2, dd7 and bf2 and ditched them all for various reasons)
  • Most of my favourite pedals are boss. Ph1r , dd2 (although I love the madbean @juansolo built that I got hold of ) , ds-2, ds-1, df-2, sd-1, sd-2, adaptive distortion, ds-1x... 

I love the metal zone. As @Sporky once said, if it was marketed as a parametric doom fuzz (or words to that effect) it would be higher regarded. 

Dod hold the award for my favourite chorus , and the best heavy rhythm distortion I've owned was the blackstar ht metal, and juansolo does the best muffs . . . But I'm mostly a boss nut .