The crave for power must be genetic...

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
edited October 2016 in Amps
I took my modest 30w combo amp to show two young boy students (7 & 9) who I have started to teach recently. So far has been five weeks on acoustics but they wanted to know why my semi (which I use acoustically) had knobs and 'things'. I explained all about electric and how it works and they were mightily interested in seeing the 'ampliflyer' and kept bugging me to bring it to a lesson. So I finally did.

The very first Q was - how loud is it and when I told them was 30 watts they immediately wanted to hear it at '30 watts'. I had to keep telling them this was not only dangerous to their hearing but unnecessary. Regardless, they kept asking and pleading and  I had to keep an eye on the vol switch in case they flipped it up without me noticing.

They knew nothing about electrics/amps before I introduced this to them but by the end they understood the concept and then one said "is that why they have massive ones on a  stage - to push more air...??"

My work was done.
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Show them the picture of the fake Marshall stacks :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Take them to an illegal rave. There's an obnoxious amount of sound at those.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    One power chord at full volume with everyone behind the cab wouldn't have hurt anyone...  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    Haha, just tell them all they're favourite recordings were done with 5w amps in the studio.

...but don't tell them how Clapton got his Beano tone :D
  • Ché said:
    Haha, just tell them all they're favourite recordings were done with 5w amps in the studio.

...but don't tell them how Clapton got his Beano tone :D
    Ha. I found a Bluesbreaker combo in a rehearsal room my band used (the room rate came with rental amps that we didn't need) so I thought I'd crank it up and have a blast.

Hooooooooo shit it was loud. No wonder the 70s rock guys have wrecked their hearing. Apparently when Clapton rolled up to Decca studios with that amp and dimed it, the engineers initially refused to record him.

My kids are the same about loud music.To be fair to them, rock music does sound better when your trousers are flapping to the beat. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Ché said:
    Lie to children? You bloody monster! ;)