Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Abba reforming!

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Saw them live .. excellent.

Remember the Sex Pistols came on to Dancing Queen on the Filthy Lucre tour .. Rotten thought it an ironic statement on the banality of pop music that punk swept away .. he was shocked to find the audience singing along and jumping up and down .. they obviously saw things differently .. he was very upset .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11994
    I liked their sad ones the best: SOS,  Winner takes it all,...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10342
    The Winner Takes It All is one of my favourite vocals of all time.Such heartbreaking lyrics sung so brilliantly, made all the more special due to the fact that she was living that heartbreak and the pain described was totally real.Stunning work.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    My favourite is the melancholy Name of the game. Pure brilliance.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2016
     That makes me cry if I'm honest.  Winner takes it all.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72679
    I can't believe I'm saying this this, but I'm genuinely in two minds about this. I absolutely love ABBA, and have since I was eight years old - and a part of me wants to see them reform and produce new material or even just play the old stuff, but another part of me thinks Bjorn was right when he said some years ago that they never would, because it was better to remember them as they were.

Mamma Mia also proves that they already know how to trash their own history…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Idiot (I meant me BTW)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I Love Abba.
    When i drove my truck i used to blast it and never turn it down at traffic lights.
    On a sunny day with the windows down there were few better ways to cheer yourself up at 56mph.
    I hope they will be brilliant now they're more mature.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30953
    Isn't it some kind of virtual show... not an actual reforming of the band???
    I think you're right.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    dindude said:
    I f*cking hate Abba....
    That makes you officially miserable you realise. Abba are pop-perfection.
    I'm prepared to be guilty as charged on this one....

I find their music sickly, over-produced and over-sentimental.

Some form of revisionism set in a while ago that deemed them 'cool'. I get that they're mainstream pop - but the Bee Gees could probably lay claim to the greatest ever band in that genre, on the basis of longevity and sheer variety of material. In terms of song craft, I don't think Abba are in the same league.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    But they're from Sweden.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72679
    richardhomer said:

Some form of revisionism set in a while ago that deemed them 'cool'. I get that they're mainstream pop - but the Bee Gees could probably lay claim to the greatest ever band in that genre, on the basis of longevity and sheer variety of material. In terms of song craft, I don't think Abba are in the same league.
    I disagree - I think they're almost exactly equivalent. For a long time it wasn't considered cool to like the Bee Gees either - and although they lasted longer, how much that they did after the 1970s has really stood up as well? To be fair they were also successful in the 60s, but so were the members of ABBA - Agnetha especially, she was quite a big star in Europe in the 60s and if she'd sung in English back then, I think she would have been well-known here too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30953
    You can't be a Richard Homer any more.

You are a Richard Straight.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Abba?! I'd have put more money on the Smiths, the Jam or, to be frank, The Beatles getting back together!
    This really is one of those NEVER GONNA HAPPEN / Hell freezing over moments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11360
    edited October 2016
    I just wonder how many of the Abba fans on here came across the band from a historical distance, and being able to elect to listen to them.

Back in the day, when their stuff dominated the airwaves because radio chiefs had the intelligence and adventurousness of a dried turd it was a case of death by repetition.

I hated them then, I hated them when they became retro-cool, and I remain constant in mmy feelings towards their over-polished, soulless, worked-out-to-the-most-minute-detail pap. There is no muse in there, there is no soul, there is no moment.

Good pop music? Give me The Sweet any day.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    scrumhalf said:
    I just wonder how many of the Abba fans on here came across the band from a historical distance, and being ablke to elect to listen to them.

Back in the day, when their stuff dominated the airwaves because radio chiefs had the intelligence and adventurousness of a dried turd it was a case of death by repetition.

I hated them then, I hated them when they became retro-cool, and I remain constant in mmy feelings towards their over-polished, soulless, worked-out-to-the-most-minute-detail pap. There is no muse in there, there is no soul, there is no moment.

Good pop music? Give me The Sweet any day.
    Thank god I'm not the only one to realise they're rubbish!

The way things are going I'm expecting @ICBM, @Gasssge, @Dindude, et al to wade in with some revisionist love for The Dooleys, Tina Charles and Racey....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7804
    ABBA are great but who honestly puts on an album nowadays to listen all through?

Fleetwood Mac were always closer to my idea of pop perfection
  • Remembering Abba fans has been big in the news recently

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6197
    "Rubbish" ... ?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12439
    goldtop said:
    "Rubbish" ... ?
    Quite. People might not like them but they were hardly rubbish. Catchy lightweight pop at its finest. If you want rubbish there's more than enough genuinely crap stuff out there. Cheeky Girls anyone?