Too much of the same thing ??

CDM83CDM83 Frets: 33

I finally got to the place where I was happy with my board and was looking forward to a good stint of no tinkering/GAS/messing around.

It didn’t last long.  A friend of mine who plays a similar amp (Two-Rock Coral) gets a great sound from a way huge pork loin – so thought I’d give one a go (hoping I wouldn’t like it). I also had one last loop to fill on the G2 ! The problem is – the pork loin sounds great too. Slightly fatter sound than my other OD sounds (Amp ch2 and KOT).

So, I now use a whole bunch of  overdrive sounds for different things  - i.e. amp OD for sitting in mix (and works well with bit of comp), KOT that stacks well quite nicely and then Pork Loin for a bit more chunkier tones (but doesn’t get on so well with comp, I find). TS DX does the higher gain stuff and has been no.1 choice for nearly 10 years !

Do I keep the setup as it is and try to use all these slight nuances for what are all light overdrive sounds  - or  try to simplify it ? I had a gig not so long ago when the pedal board went down – and I just used the KOT and the volume control – it was quite liberating…but don’t think I could be one of those players.

I know these aren't real problems – but I spend way too much time thinking about it ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    edited October 2016
    god, sassafrass is going to be all over this.

9 times out of 10 the audience aren't going to know the difference, but YOU will, and that's what matter's. 

I always find the guitar to play better with the RAT on and i push that through a tonebender so the RAT can hardly be noticed
  • CDM83CDM83 Frets: 33

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    I just don't get the multi overdrive options thing at all. I'm lucky good amp crunch + a Klon style boost does all I need. Fuzz if the band needs it.

Just think of all the far more fun and dramatically sound changing pedals you could use!

That said the best is what ever works for you.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3049
    I "needed" multiple drive sounds when playing in a pop/rock covers band. These days, I don't need so many.

R.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited October 2016
    I don't like having so many drives on my board.
    I have a Klon which is mostly always on and a KoT.
    If I need a mid gain thing then I use the guitar volume to clean up.

Fewer pedals means you spend more time concentrating on playing and less on tap dancing.

YMMV.
    i think that's right robinbowes - i play in two bands. A wedding/function type thing - where I feel the need for all sorts of drives (although the other band members prob wouldn't notice). But my blues/soul thing  -  i need far fewer. But still find it hard to decide if the options are a good or bad thing. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    As expected, I would advise you to ditch all the drive pedals but one: Way Huge Pork Loin. It's all anyone needs.
    I find it works fine with a compressor running into it, not after.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I like the Rastafarian G2, by the way.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    edited October 2016
    5e3, cable, guitar, volume and tone control. Sonic Heaven.  :)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1631
    merlin said:
    5e3, OCD, cable, guitar, volume and tone control. Sonic Heaven.  :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Interesting question, I've been in the same place having a fuzz, a klon type low gainer then two mid-gainers that are similar but have there own thing and can be stacked for higher gain. Plus the klon-type can be stacked with either of these, so loads of combinations. But I'm getting bored of the constant tweeking rather than playing.

I'm going to simply this weekend as an experiment. It will be the klon-type for low gain, a quality TS style for mid-gain and then a quality Rat-style for higher gain. Three sounds, no stacking, all switched with a flip-flop switcher so that I can get from to the other with one button push.

Lets see how it goes!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    edited October 2016
    I play in a one guitar band so I've been trying a bit of this for adding more dynamics and oomph to certain parts of songs. Set amp for light crunch to play intro, verses etc for then boost with TC Spark for the main tones when the rest of the band/chorus kicks in etc. Don't know if it really makes much difference though! Might jack it in and go back to just using guitar volume and the odd fuzz pedal.
    Sassafras that's interesting  - will try the comp the other way. out of interest - is it worth playing around with the internal trim pots ? my mate (who has used it for years as his main sound) says he never felt the need. 
    that's interesting Sassafras - will try the comp the other way. have you played around with the internal trim pots much ? 
    Sassafras that's interesting  - will try the comp the other way. out of interest - is it worth playing around with the internal trim pots ? my mate (who has used it for years as his main sound) says he never felt the need. 
    that's interesting Sassafras - will try the comp the other way. have you played around with the internal trim pots much ?