Celestion G12H100 and G12M70?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
edited October 2016 in Amps
I've just been given some speakers and wonder what the experts think of them before I decide to try them or sell them.
2 Celestion G12H100 (4ohm) that look unused and are apparently NOS from the early/mid 80's and 1x G12M70 (4ohm) that looks to have been fitted.

I've got a few other spare speakers and a spare unloaded 4x12 cab so I could probably come up with a wiring combination that works but I'd be interested in anyones thought before I bother.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    The G12H-100s are open-sounding, chunky and very even - not really a 'warm' tone but very dynamic and powerful... good for big modern rock sounds. They're heavier-sounding than the G12K-100. Also good for bass, if you need 12s.

The G12M-70 is almost the exact opposite, very middy and a bit honky. Not usually a very highly regarded speaker, but it can sound good in combination with something more scooped. It's also good with solid-state amps because it has no real top or bottom, so helps prevent boom and buzz.

The 4-ohm impedance is a bit restrictive - obviously you could put two of them in series to make an 8-ohm cab, but they would also be suitable for many solid-state 1x12" combos which are often tricky to find good 4-ohm speakers for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks - sounds like the G12H100's are worth a try,   pretty sure I've got some 16ohm speakers so I could combine to give an 8ohm cab or use them in a  2x12,  I have an early 80's  412 sized 212 in the garage that might work nicely.   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    John_P said:
    Thanks - sounds like the G12H100's are worth a try,   pretty sure I've got some 16ohm speakers so I could combine to give an 8ohm cab or use them in a  2x12,  I have an early 80's  412 sized 212 in the garage that might work nicely.   
    Yes, that would be a great fit - they're ideal in an oversized cab, it will sound huge.

I had one of those cabs which I put a pair of Powercel 100s in - great cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein