SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Patrick Eggle JS Legend - Ooooooo! Very rare & very tasty!

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
edited December 2016 in Guitars £
SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

The JS Legend represents the creme de la creme of British guitar building. When Patrick Eggle formed his company at the beginning of the 90s, he designed the JS Legend for 'Big Jim' Sullivan. Other notable players include Rory Gallagher whose JS Legend sold for £25000 last year!

This particular example is serial numbered 28 from the original run and was made in Coventry back in 1992. Since then it has been owned by a number of collectors, but has seen very little playing time. As such, the condition is superb with barely a mark on it - there is a small scratch to the facing of the headstock from a stray string end, but otherwise it's immaculate.

The guitar features a very highly figured carved maple top over a similarly figured maple body. The neck is also flamed maple with an Ebony fretboard which  features Pat's leaf inlays. The trem is Trevor Wilkinson's ingenious VS100C - this looks like a normal trem, but when not in use it locks to ensure perfect tuning stability. At the head end you have a set of Sperzel locking tuners.

These guitars originally had a set of Reflex pickups with a boost control where you'd expect to see a tone control. However, I found the boost too abrasive and pickups a bit noisy (I've heard mixed reviews of these) so replaced the electrics with a complete EMG set including their 57/66 pickups and matching volume and tone pots (shown in the last picture). These are far more versatile than you'd expect offering the expected high gain tones but also with a more vintage voicing than most EMGs which allows a wider range of clean and distorted tones.

It took me many years to fund and find this guitar and I'll be sad to see it go, but unfortunately the time has come, so this along with a number of other guitars are up for sale.

The guitar comes with a fitted Hiscox / Eggle case and all case candy!

£1400

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040981_zpsw36jgh34.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040976_zpsoh4s99zu.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040986_zpstp2xwctl.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040984_zpswwyuooxu.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040994_zpsgrqrcqcl.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040985_zps6tuvgdec.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040980_zpsrp7jg9y3.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040983_zpsl9dy9iec.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040977_zps9jxuwsbd.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040990_zpsbenljak8.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040991_zpshpmjtb8n.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040998_zpsksetnf4w.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi can I see a picture of the front of the headstock which you said gad a scratch on it?
    Regards dave 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
    Sorry about that @musicman100  - photobucket was playing up earlier when I added the pictures so must have missed that one out.

Here you go, the scratch is on the upper edge near the low E tuner:

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/revmatt1/P1040979_zpshwmw8lbn.jpg

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    oh my dear sweet jesus, that is an absolutely stunning guitar and there no way 1400 could buy you anything else close this in terms of quality and exclusivity
  • Do you have the original pups and pots etc?

No, I was on a tight budget when I upgraded to the EMGs so had to sell them to part fund the new set. I know some people would value the originality, but I know a number of other owners who have been disappointed by the Reflex pickups.

In choosing the EMGs, I wanted something that retained the 'active' ethos and the styling of the originals, but with more clarity and versatility. 
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Don't do it Matt!!  :'(
  • Jim offered me his 002 Legend shortly before he died, unfortunately didn't have the cash and felt awkward about having it from him, great man, great player, great friend. RIP Big man :( fantastic guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For info, Jims number one (which was number 2, my mate Steve JIM's best mate had number 1) had EMGs 100%
    For info, Jims number one (which was number 2, my mate Steve JIM's best mate had number 1) had EMGs 100%
    Thanks for the additional information. I seem to remember reading somewhere else that Jim didn't like the Reflex pickups so that makes sense.
  • RevMatt said:
    No, I was on a tight budget when I upgraded to the EMGs so had to sell them to part fund the new set. I know some people would value the originality, but I know a number of other owners who have been disappointed by the Reflex pickups.

In choosing the EMGs, I wanted something that retained the 'active' ethos and the styling of the originals, but with more clarity and versatility. 
    Only asking out of interest of keeping it together for originality, i would intend to play it so would probably switch out the EMGs myself to something PAF orientated anyway if i didnt like the EMGs.

Jim offered me his 002 Legend shortly before he died, unfortunately didn't have the cash and felt awkward about having it from him, great man, great player, great friend. RIP Big man :( fantastic guitars!
    Thats amazing to know you were friends, such a shame it couldnt have found a home with someone close to him. Do you know if it went to a collector in the end?

• It did indeed go to a collector for much more than he offered it to me for shortly after he died. Ultimately it was the best scenario as the family got the most benefit that way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

RevMatt said:

Only asking out of interest of keeping it together for originality, i would intend to play it so would probably switch out the EMGs myself to something PAF orientated anyway if i didnt like the EMGs.

That makes perfect sense to me. As it happens I really like the EMGs and would probably end up buying them again, so if it helped, I would consider selling the guitar without pickups - of course that would also affect the rest of the wiring as it's the quick connect system (the toggle and the jack would still be in place). Just another possibility.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    That's another lovely looking Eggle Legend, Matt.  But EMG's are a bit like Marmite...you either love or hate them and I'm afraid I'm in the latter camp. At this price point I think I'd prefer original spec anyway.  Having said that although I've played quite a few Berlins and Viennas, I've never played a Legend, so your comments on pups and wiring is very interesting. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited October 2016

Voxman said:
    That's another lovely looking Eggle Legend, Matt.  But EMG's are a bit like Marmite...you either love or hate them and I'm afraid I'm in the latter camp. At this price point I think I'd prefer original spec anyway.  Having said that although I've played quite a few Berlins and Viennas, I've never played a Legend, so your comments on pups and wiring is very interesting. 

I fully understand the appeal of originality and there was a time when I favoured it (insofar as Eggles are concerned), but I've got to the point now where I would sacrifice originality for upgrades that work better for me in the real world (much like your preference for coil splits on my Berlin Vintage Classic).

The original Reflex pickups and boost circuit were pretty awful and were a weak point of the guitar - and I'm not the only JS owner who thinks this. While EMGs can be pigeon holed by the trademark sounds of the 81, 85, 89 pickups the 57/66 set are something different. I was keen to maintain the original 'active' design intention of the guitar and the styling of the black covered Reflexes, but my options were limited - I didn't want to go for something that was just metal (ruling out the SD Blackouts and other EMG models) and I wanted something more organic that would allow the guitar's natural voice to sing. On reflection, I still think the EMGs were the right choice and are a massive improvement over the originals.

Of course, for the collector who wants an all original spec example, this probably isn't for them, but there aren't many of these to choose from and I dare say this is amongst the best in terms of condition.

Edit: I should probably add that the case, although being an Eggle logo'd Hiscox is also not period correct for this guitar - in '91/92 Eggle were using TKL cases (standard rectangle type) before moving to Hiscox. The case included with this guitar is the later Hiscox design that Eggle started using around '94/95. Again, a significant improvement over the original case.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Interesting perspective and tech update Matt, thanks. I fully take on board your perspective re practical upgrades. I hadnt appreciated that this was an active circuit guitar from outset and I'm probably more comfortable with traditional passive guitars anyway. Deserves to go to a good home so hope it finds one here.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited October 2016

I don't want my for sale thread to get too sidetracked with a conversation about pickups, but the following may be relevant.

Here's what EMG say about their 57/66 set:

"A true original, the 57 is a bridge humbucker pickup designed for today’s guitar player regardless of style or genre. The unique combination of Alnico V magnets and steel pole pieces evoke an unmistakably PAF quality in its tone. The active attributes provide the headroom and punch necessary to deliver unparalleled definition and presence.

The 66 is a result of pickup design innovation inspired by the specific needs and requests of today’s players. Alnico V magnets provide the warm, smooth mid-range and expansive lows while the ceramic pole pieces bring out the clarity in the upper register. "

And Music Radar:

"No pickup manufacturer has been typecast like EMG. The brand has become so associated with metalheads that the message has become: you want vintage warmth, you'd best shop elsewhere.

EMG has addressed its lack of vintage presence with the new Metal Works 57 bridge 'bucker and its companion, the 66 model. Why Metal Works? Because you get the choice of shiny and brushed chrome, black chrome and gold-finished metal casings....

The 57 bridge unit, with its combination of Alnico V magnets and steel polepieces, offers trademark metal chugging rhythm tone, but it handles clean tones better than any previous EMG. It sparkles, and works great for classic hard-rock tones, too.

The 66 neck combines Alnico V magnets for vintage warmth and ceramic pole pieces for punch. The result is the brightest-sounding neck 'bucker we've tried, with superb note separation no matter how thick the overdrive gets."

• Are you after any non Eggle trades Matt?

Not really @SimpleSimon - I'm needing to sell this to clear a debt so was hoping I might be able to pick up a lower value Berlin with some of the proceeds.

However, I am lacking anything with single coils at the moment so may consider something Strat-like.

What've you got in mind?
  • Nowt in particular, other than my PRS's i have a Baja Tele, Cabronita Tele and a PRS SE30 &50 heads with matching 212 cab.......

All sounds like nice stuff but don't need amps and not really into Teles. PRS are a different matter but as I'm selling out of nessecity I suspect a PRS wouldn't include enough cash to justify the sale...