recording on phone

Hi

New to recording, and had some questions. I'm looking to record guitar tracks on my phone. I've got a samsung galaxy s5 mini, and an old iphone 4 I can also use. I've got a zoom g3. Would using the G3 as an audio usb interface into the IPhone and garageband app work? Does anything work with the Samsung (I note they don't have otg host modes). Would a line out with a 3.5mm jack into headphone/mic Input be better for input?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I have tried an irig2 with Garageband on an ipad and Soundcamp on a Samsung S7 with not very good results.

Importing backing tracks into the Ipad was pain.  Never worked out how to do it on the S7.

I gave up and bought a tascam digital 4 track.
    (I like to get away from computers and monitors as I see enough of them at work.)

The ipad was much better than the Samsung for the free versions.  You might not need the G3 as there are amp models and effects in garageband.  I found it was noisy with high gain, hissy more than anything. There is a noise gate but that just sounded weird to me.

In the end the learning curve was too steep for me and too many wires.

So probably not much of an answer given your circumstances.

What are you looking to acheive? Multi-tracks? Drum/ bass tracks/ vocals?  
  • Just record some guitar and bass tracks for practicing/mucking about, so only a couple of tracks running together.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    The Irig2 will definitely do that. 

I have no idea about USB.

• Anyone got any ideas re samsung/android phones? if the USB/OTG doesn't USB host, I assume it's using the headphone/mic jack. 

Forgive me for being an idiot, but would a line in into the headphone/mic jack work as a recording studio app would just recognise the line-in as a microphone? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    Use Jam  Up it comes with an 8 track recorder

To get an analog signal into a phone or iPad you need to connect the hot to the last ring on a TRSS and ground to ground and connect a 4K ish resistor across hot and ground so the phone thinks a mic has been connected ... use a cap to block the electret mic bias voltage ......... the imedence will be so low though that it will suck all the treble off a passive guitar 
    www.2020studios.co.uk