Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tomasz Kroker - the Lorry Driver.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30951
As I'm shored up at Gassage Towers with busted ribs I have watched this unfold today and 10 years is a minimum for me

I am no angel in previous times- I have called and texted with impunity whilst driving, but since getting proper bluetooth and so on a few years ago, I rarely if ever do it. I will admit I have done in the past, but those that have my number know I won't reply when driving. I'll answer a call with the iDrive system, but that's it

However, seeing the impact this has had on the lives of so many, the deaths caused and so on, I swear down I'll never do it again. it's bloody stupid.

I won't accept either that one or two with a clear road is fine.

If no one ever does this again then there can't be a repeat incident, simple.

I feel very strongly about this- it is so avoidable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4269
    edited October 2016
    Walking to work and back every day along busy roads it's frankly unbelievable how many drivers you see on the phone - it's not so much making calls these days, it's head down staring and scrolling and, as proven, it's absolutely bloody lethal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    Everyone who has ever caused a car accident of any type thought "it will never happen to me" and that's why this case and the footage will be all but forgotten in 2 weeks.

Fucking stupid humans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    edited October 2016
    Seriously it's about time the fine for using a mobile inappropriately while driving was ramped up, say to something like £1000, plus a year's driving ban. That's the only way you'll get through to idiots that do it. It needs to be policed much better too. There's no excuse for professional drivers doing it all IMO. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4269
    boogieman said:
    Seriously it's about time the fine for using a mobile inappropriately while driving was ramped up, say to something £1000, plus a year's driving ban. That's the only way you'll get through to idiots that do it. It needs to be policed much better too. There's no excuse for professional drivers doing it all IMO. 

Professional drivers are some of the worst - next time you get a minicab, check out how many devices the driver's got suckered to his windscreen and how many times he pokes and prods at them.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    randella said:
    boogieman said:
    Seriously it's about time the fine for using a mobile inappropriately while driving was ramped up, say to something £1000, plus a year's driving ban. That's the only way you'll get through to idiots that do it. It needs to be policed much better too. There's no excuse for professional drivers doing it all IMO. 

Professional drivers are some of the worst - next time you get a minicab, check out how many devices the driver's got suckered to his windscreen and how many times he pokes and prods at them.
    And when you ask them not to it's like WTF?!?!?

I also believe in ears should be banned- takes away spatial awareness IMO

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    I'm starting to see more and more people texting/using phones while driving - you can tell them a mile off slightly wandering over white line, erratic speed etc etc.

My job depends on me being contactable at all times but there is no way I would text/mail whilst driving.

This story upsets/frightens me too - especially as I tend to get a bit twitchy when I'm the last car in a line of stopped traffic as you have no idea if the car/lorry/bus coming behind you has observed the brake lights/road signs/traffic ahead and could quite easily cause another accident like this.

10 years is not enough IMO, he has killed 4 people and traumatised many more...

As for being caught using mobile, it should be instant ban + hefty fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd say every other driver I see is using the phone most days. Even the Facebook blue glow in many cases. Disgusting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Let us not forget that hands-free calling also significantly reduces driver attention to the road. It is more acceptable than using a handset or texting, but still equivalent to being on the alcohol limit, reactions-wise.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    Let us not forget that hands-free calling also significantly reduces driver attention to the road. It is more acceptable than using a handset or texting, but still equivalent to being on the alcohol limit, reactions-wise.
    I reckon the actual dialing of the call is the danger time. If that is true, should we only be alowed incoming calls?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I ride a motorbike and I see it all the time.
    The temptation to kick one of their wing mirrors off is almost overwhelming.

I just came back from a trip into London and was on the bike- nearly got taken out by a dumbfuck in a 4x4 playing on his phone whilst changing lanes. Cunt.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    What is frightening sometimes is when you have been on a call dealing with something and you can't really remember the road you have just driven on...shows how your concentration on the "road" wanes a little when on a phone.

My last employers banned the use of phones (Bluetooth or not) in the company cars which I don't think was a bad thing.

The usual "I'll be home in 10 mins" thing is fine, but to start in depth conversations about things whilst driving is a no-no - I got caught speeding on M4 while on my handsfree - trying to help a guy fix a dead server and concentrating more on the call than the road.

• Tractors too. EVERY tractor driver i see...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    A lot of people seem to think I'm odd because I point blank refuse to answer the phone when I'm driving. I'll admit to taking a very quick look at the screen to see who's calling and whether it's urgent enough to stop somewhere and call back - which I don't think is any worse that, say, changing the channel on the radio, and I can just about keep half an eye on the road for the second or two it takes - but then it goes back in the cup holder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    More and more I see drivers veer to the left and then over correct and you know they are on their phone - I've seen a girl in rush hour traffic do this almost all the way along the motorway and she was using the rumble strips to alert her when she was veering too far - the camber of the road makes it happen a wee bit but not that much!

So dangerous, even on full bluetooth speakerphone system I find I can arrive after chatting and not remember the journey. I'm sure we are aware but it can't be as much as if you are just watching where you are going!
  • octatonic said:
    I ride a motorbike and I see it all the time.
    The temptation to kick one of their wing mirrors off is almost overwhelming.

I just came back from a trip into London and was on the bike- nearly got taken out by a dumbfuck in a 4x4 playing on his phone whilst changing lanes. Cunt.
    Kicking wing mirrors off should be mandatory in such circumstances,  why it isnt assessed on the motorcycle test I do not nkow
  • Gassage said:
    Let us not forget that hands-free calling also significantly reduces driver attention to the road. It is more acceptable than using a handset or texting, but still equivalent to being on the alcohol limit, reactions-wise.
    I reckon the actual dialing of the call is the danger time. If that is true, should we only be alowed incoming calls?

Actually the conversation is what causes you to lose interest in your surroundings. See here for example. conversations with passengers are different because they notice when the driver's attention is alerted to a hazard.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Gassage said:

Actually the conversation is what causes you to lose interest in your surroundings. See here for example. conversations with passengers are different because they notice when the driver's attention is alerted to a hazard.
    Voice recognition is almost good enough to make it a non-issue.

edited October 2016
    An aside- Ali just came home. His bosses' niece was one of the victims.

Doesn't half make it real when you hear something like that.

EDIT: Eileen, the stepdaughter.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    You guys should see the driving in the middle east... The only reason there aren't hundreds more deaths here  is because the roads are all so wide.

I have bluetooth in my car and the handsfree works really well but I still don't take anything that will be more than a minute or so. And I use Siri for telling my phone what music to play.

I certainly don't text or whatsapp or Facebook or whatever while driving and I have no idea why anyone would. Setting your satnav while sat a traffic lights is one thing but the moment your car is moving you can kill someone in seconds if you're not paying attention.

We're at the point where only an insta-ban for getting caught, and lifetime ban for causing an accident would be a deterrent. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires