Statistics terminology

What's Hot
If we're rolling a die, there's a 3 in 6 chance of rolling an even number.
What terms describes the "3" and "6" here?

Likewise, there's a 1 in 2 chance of throwing heads on a 2 sided coin.

Or, a 13 in 52 chance of picking a diamond card at random from a standard pack of cards.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Not sure of the proper terms, but I think I'd use "desired outcome" and "outcome".
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Odds or chances?
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    edited October 2016
    You are describing a probability space.  This has three parts - the sample space (range of possible outcomes), some events (rolling an even number) and the probability measure (chance of the event happening = 3/6= 0.5).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_space
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27219
    if you think of it as a fraction, 3 in 6 is 1/2, so it's effectively the numerator and denominator. But I don't think there's a specific word for each 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • A5D5E5 said:
    You are describing a probability space.  This has three parts - the sample space (range of possible outcomes), some events (rolling an even number) and the probability measure (chance of the event happening = 3/6= 0.5).

So, when rolling a die, the sample space is numbers 1-6 inclusive. The probability measure is 1 (you can only roll 1 number).

That's pretty good. But what about a horse race? The sample space I care about is the number of horses in the race, not the names of the horses, or their race number etc.

The chance of Shergar winning a 7 horse race is 1 in 7. The sample space is 7?
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    A5D5E5 said:

So, when rolling a die, the sample space is numbers 1-6 inclusive. The probability measure is 1 (you can only roll 1 number).

That's pretty good. But what about a horse race? The sample space I care about is the number of horses in the race, not the names of the horses, or their race number etc.

Not quite.  The event is the outcome you are interested in.  The probability measure gives you the chance of the event happening (1/6th say for rolling a given number).  This can vary with different events - think of it as the odds of each horse winning.

Try it out "Good day.  Tell me what is your current probability measure for the event "Shergar wins" from the sample space "The 3:20 at Doncaster"."

I'm sure any bookie worth his salt will give you a knowing nod and take your money with trepidation.

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    A5D5E5 said:

Not quite.  The event is the outcome you are interested in.  The probability measure gives you the chance of the event happening (1/6th say for rolling a given number).  This can vary with different events - think of it as the odds of each horse winning.

Try it out "Good day.  Tell me what is your current probability measure for the event "Shergar wins" from the sample space "The 3:20 at Doncaster"."

I'm sure any bookie worth his salt will give you a knowing nod and take your money with trepidation.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346

Is there some secret you've been hiding for 30-odd years?

I had to study statistics as part of my accuntancy qualification. In 35+ years nobody has come to me with a bag of blue and red balls and asked what the probability was that the next ball he/she would pick would be blue. If you want a blue ball, open the bloody bag and pick one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm trying to prepare a little training exercise for a group of novice Software Developers. One thing that always trips people up is naming stuff. So, it would be good to know the proper names for things and that can be one option put forward for people to consider.