Headless multiscale re-board/fret

What's Hot
Hey guys

So while i wait for the RPC to cure for the next few days on my supertele build  i decided it was time to tie up a few project i started but never really finished

First up is a 7 string headless multi scale 27-25.5 i built (but never finished) a few years back

This built was stalled after my right arm got wing mirror clipped by a car while out riding one day,that put me out of action (playing/building) for a few months & this kinda stat on a stand unfinished while i got back into playing,so now i think its time i showed it some love and made an effort to complete it ;) i also forgot how sick the maple top is on this thing!

First thing i had to change was the fingerboard,i originally fitted a Richlite Fingerboard (Dyed Paper/Phenolic Resin looks like Highend Ebony) looked nice but i hated the feel of it (sticky when it got damp with sweat) so i had a dig around my wood pile and found a nice ziricote board that had gone unused,it was brought for a 7 string bass build i never started (excuse the crap tone of these following pics my phone cam sucks in artificial light)

I had to defret the Richlite board and then use an hot iron/scrapper to removed it,as you can see it came off in a few pieces

& Sometime later after thick-nessing,band-sawing,template trimming and fret slot measuring/cutting the ziricote is ready for fretting

Should get it fretted and gluded up tomorrow & i Hope to get this ready for RPC'ing by the weekend (but best laid plans and all that)

Laters
Gizmo

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28670
    That fretboard is ace!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is going to look beautiful when it's finished.  I like everything about it - design, top, fretboard, fanned fretwork :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16779

its quite telling that the richlite broke up so cleanly at the fretlines  when removing it.  A normal fretboard won't do that, certainly not as cleanly.

Richlite seems quite stiff in board form but I guess this shows its nowhere near as stiff as traditional wood once slotted

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4201
    Very Strandberg, nice job there :)
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the feedback :)

@Sporky yep the ziricote is an interesting wood,i have enough left for about 3 other fretboards some of it is almost all light/sap and one piece is all dark spotty i think i'll use that on another GizBerger 6 string

@Andyjr1515 thanks man, i think the key words there are when its finished ;)

@
    WezV   i found the richlite pretty stable to work with and it peels rather than cuts when routed,I think slapping a very hot iron on it may have made it a liitle more brittle,i do have another bass wide/length piece of it so if i do use it again i might try finishing it with epoxy or CA to give it a better surface

@sweepy Yep i got permission straight from Ola to use this design (Such a nice guy,i got a mail back in under and hour with an ok and a list of do's don't,shame his hardware was OOS when i started this) had to alter/expand the original .ai file to 7 string size+multi scale the ass end cut out,i also have a 6 string size 25.5 scale Berg about %40 built for which i just ordered a new headless trem unit so that's going to be next on the bench i think

So got the frets cut Tapped/Superglued in place and fired up the bench grinder to bring them down to about a mm or so from the board,next up fret edge dressing (oh joy)

Laters
    Giz
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Had a bit of a leak in the workshop last week thanks to the heavy rains,nothing damaged or destroyed but i need to move a few things around to clean up which turned into a 10 day sort and reorganization  of my work space and tools

Anyhow managed to get the GlowInTheDark side dot installed today

you can't see the glow very well here but they have glow centers with a whit band
    these should charge better once i get them polished up & a blacklight on them

Going to move onto final sand and finish the body with RPC over the next few days & to avoid any masking issues with the fretboard ive decided to glue it on after ive RPC'ed the body.
    And on with some RPC

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Wow!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4201
    Stunning work there :)