Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coffee: drip brewing

What's Hot

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I've just bought a V60 (usually use an AeroPress) so have been experimenting all day: I found a few things
    - African coffees work best (my favourite is this)
    - I preferred a slightly finer grind than is usually recommended
    - This is a good place to start, recipewise

Not sure how much of this applies to the Chemex, but I imagine they work similarly
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I use a Moka at home and get different results each time. I think it's related to the tamp (how much I compress the grounds) and also how quickly I heat the water.

But I can't be arsed with the science. When I get a good one, I savour it. When I get a bad one, I struggle through and let my disappointment pass a few minutes later.
    lmao, that sounds about right.

I microwave the milk too.

(pmsl, I typed microwave the milf there, but that's a different tale!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, I microwave the milk ( when I have any). You don't need to be tamping/ compressing the coffee for a moka, you are just adding a pointless stage doing that which is also probably giving you a worse drink.
    I use the moka with the lid up so it's clear when it has just finished, although I do get spat at by it a bit as a result. If you then take it straight off the heat you should avoid the boiled peas scent that ruins it.

Snap said:
    I use a Moka at home and get different results each time. I think it's related to the tamp (how much I compress the grounds) and also how quickly I heat the water.

But I can't be arsed with the science. When I get a good one, I savour it. When I get a bad one, I struggle through and let my disappointment pass a few minutes later.
    lmao, that sounds about right.

I microwave the milk too.

(pmsl, I typed microwave the milf there, but that's a different tale!)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Sporky said:
    I got myself a drip brewer. It works, but the coffee seems rather bland - same beans as I use in the Moka. I still get appropriate levels of heart-gripping caffeine hit, but not a lot of flavour.

Am I missing a crucial trick, or is drip-brewing just for people who want their coffee to have that tea-ish quality of smelling a bit but not tasting of much?

You need a coarse grind, controlled water temperature and controlled water flow rate. 

It sounds like a lot of work because it is - makes some of the best coffee. 

If you're using a darker roast bean, swap it out. Try a light roast from Sundlaug and grind it on a coarse setting. 

Moka is effortless -just remember to use fresh ground coffee, 1-3 weeks post roast and don't tamp is hard (I don't tamp at all, just ensure its a slightly mounded amount in the pot and it self compresses) . Remove from the heat just as it goes blond to avoid over burnt coffee making it bitter, and douse in a cold water bath or a damp tea towel to curb the process quicker. 

I don't do drip coffee anymore -it's a lot of work, as much as espresso is. Once you've worked it out, you try a new coffee and you are pretty much back to square one. 
  • Also, by coarse, I mean coarse relative to espresso. 

Coffee grinding is an art unto itself. I've got aeropress (basically a perfect, clean 1 cup cafetiere) and moka pot nailed. I used to use a syphon but I preferred the flavours from aeropress and it was easier to clean. They were very similar though. 

• @sporky you may want to check out the clever coffee dripper, its a dripper with a valve so you can brew it for a bit before you filter. I love mine:

https://www.coffeehit.co.uk/clever-coffee-dripper.html

• WezVWezV Frets: 16779
    I have tried most, but the moka is now my favourite by a long shot.

i pre boil the water for the bottom and tamp the grounds lightly.  Wife does neither. 

to think I only used to use them when camping.  I am not going back to a drip or espresso machine until I can afford to spend stupid money on it.

my dad just got a small moka pot and a couple of packs of rave coffee for his birthday because he kept saying how nice my coffee was.
  • @sporky you may want to check out the clever coffee dripper, its a dripper with a valve so you can brew it for a bit before you filter. I love mine:

https://www.coffeehit.co.uk/clever-coffee-dripper.html

That's what I have for when I cannot be arsed to turn on and prime the Gaggia, it's the only way I can drink a drip coffee, works a treat.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited November 2016
    Sporky said:
    Whoaaa there Missy. Now what you sayin' 'bout tea?
    I believe I made an uncontentious suggestion that tea doesn't have a particularly strong flavour.

Though I will add that tea is less British than coffee, and thus tea drinkers are less worthy citizens.
    I would content that point, British overseas business interests were instrumental in bringing tea from China to India and it's prolifieration into British society. How we define whether something is more or less British is a tricky and often subjective view. It's often people from outside Britain that have the bes view of our Britishness.

for me, tea is more a more refined and civilised beverage than coffee, and, while tea drinking may be on the decline here, I believe it's historically more associated with Britishness than coffee. 

So, what I'm saying is, coffee drinkers are uncivilised gutter trash who should e deported to the colonies and forced to hard labour or sent to the workhouse.

now, where's my mug of tea and Little Chef full English breakfast?

• SporkySporky Frets: 28672
    Typical tea revisionist!

We had coffee before we had tea. Tea is a piffling dilettante.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    edited November 2016
    Buy a 5 quid tea brewer. The coffee sits in the water till it's ready. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nothing-but-Tea-Infuser/dp/B0074FRDZY
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited November 2016
    How would you know? You can't brew a decent cup of the filthly oily shit can you?

I don't hear the Tea drinkers whining about how to make a good cuppa

They're resigned to flavourless mediocritea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a crack on a very expensive londinium machine and after wasting 14 doubles, I made a balanced, sweet espresso. 

Balls to that, I want a delicious beverage easy. Brewed can't taste like a shot, but a shot can't taste brewed either. 

Moka is probably my favourite for best of both worlds - goes with milk a treat, and likes a darker roast. The rave fudge blend works well. I did manage a batch of Kenyan that tasted of blackcurrant squash, and a yirgacheffe that was very forest fruits, so it can work straight with a fruity coffee too. 
    edited November 2016
    Sporky said:

They're resigned to flavourless mediocritea.
    Not resigned, just silently and happily content with a truly British flavourful start to the day, no fancy machine needed, mug, tea, kettle, sugar & milk....done. out the door, working to make Britain great while you're still pissing about with your drippy sludge

Tea is the Johnny-come-lately of the British hot beverage world.
  • Your arguments are as weak as your coffee

Not at all.

First British coffee shop - 1652
    First tea sold in Britain - in a coffee shop - 1657

Coffee is more traditionally British than is tea. Also it's better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16779

Do you want me to send my mother in law round?
  • This is only a related comment, but I thoroughly recommend Union Roasted coffee. Revelation is appropriately named. Lovely stuff.