Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists That Did Not Deserve The Darkness

What's Hot
sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
This guy.

I've heard this song countless times, but at least to my ear the (first.....second?) guitar part is not as beautiful on the record as it is here.
I can't find another live version with quite the same licks/riffs.  Shame you can't see him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Really nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited November 2016
    If we're discussing guitarists who don't get their dues, The guy who does the heavy lifting for Simon Neil at Biffy gigs gets my vote- if you watch the footage of their performance at Reading this year you can see him stage (FAR) right. He allows Simon to concentrate more on being a frontman. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    edited November 2016
    Justin Hawkins.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If we're discussing guitarists who don't get their dues, The guy who does the heavy lifting for Simon Neil at Biffy gigs gets my vote- if you watch the footage of their performance at Reading this year you can see him stage (FAR) right. He allows Simon to concentrate more on being a frontman. 
    That would be Mike Vennart, formerly of Oceansize.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72440
    The whole world did not deserve The Darkness, why stop at just guitarists?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If we're discussing guitarists who don't get their dues, The guy who does the heavy lifting for Simon Neil at Biffy gigs gets my vote- if you watch the footage of their performance at Reading this year you can see him stage (FAR) right. He allows Simon to concentrate more on being a frontman. 
    Pisses me off so much. Lots of bands manage to have touring members without hiding them on stage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72440
    chrispy108 said:

Pisses me off so much. Lots of bands manage to have touring members without hiding them on stage.
    This. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a bigger band on stage to play parts that can't be done just by the 'core' members alone. Hiding the extra players - especially if they're literally behind a curtain or something - is dishonest though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Justin Hawkins.

Gosh darn it you beat me to it!!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/

• ICBM said:
    I agree. We were blessed to receive them at the right time. 4 top-notch rock albums and a 5th on the way... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    edited November 2016

ICBM said:
    I agree. We were blessed to receive them at the right time. 4 top-notch rock albums and a 5th on the way... 
    Some good riffs but Justin Hawkins high pitched voice is unlistenable to.  Find a younger version of Paul Rodgers to front it.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If we're discussing guitarists who don't get their dues, The guy who does the heavy lifting for Simon Neil at Biffy gigs gets my vote- if you watch the footage of their performance at Reading this year you can see him stage (FAR) right. He allows Simon to concentrate more on being a frontman. 
    They hardly hide him:

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    joeyowen said:
    They hardly hide him:

I don't think he performed the necessary risk assessment before attempting that. Totally inadequate PPE.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    I think the epitome of this is Robbie Krieger. He's a great player but very much was in the shadow of Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison in the Doors.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Sesh said:
    I think the epitome of this is Robbie Krieger. He's a great player but very much was in the shadow of Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison in the Doors.
    I believe he wrote some of their most memorable songs as well.

It's not a competition.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I love the earlier Prince stuff and always thought Dez Dickerson was underrated - not so much hidden, just standing next to Prince.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy Fairweather-Low, not a complete unknown by any stretch, but now kind of regarded as Eric Clapton's sideman. It's doing him a bit of a dis-service as he's a pretty good player.

It might be worth mentioning the great studio session players of the 60s & 70s like Big Jim Sullivan, Chris Rae, Joe Moretti and other players of that ilk. All fantastic players who could turn their hand to many styles of music, played on dozens (or hundreds) of hits, yet virtually unknown to many folks
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I don't get the thread title?
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Spotlight on old Gordo, I'd rather watch the guitarist to his left who is plunged into darkness.
    I just wondered if there were any other, better examples, of this.  Nothing to do the band named The Darkness.
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Placebo use a bassist and guitarist who are hidden in the background/darkness when they play live. Shame. 
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!

• @joeyowen ;

Sitting int he dark on the right...