Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you EQ your amps in relation to speaker placement.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited November 2016
    I found it interesting the way Matt Schofield does it - think this is when he's playing a hired amp - think it's a good starting point anyway - turns bass/mid/treble down then dial it up to the point where you really hear it start to come in strong and  stop right around there..do that on all three and you have a starting point...then fine tune to taste.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ché said:
    How do you validate the settings on your amp? On-axis to the speaker, off axis or to sound good where you're standing?

My Mesa MK I is hyper directional and beams like no other amp I've played. It's either too muddy if I stand to the side or too bright nearer the cone. I often wonder how we even decide if an amp/speaker sounds great as it's so dependent on where our ears are in relation to it.

Ideal scenario is a mic to in-ear monitors or stage wedges but I'm lucky to get mic'd at some gigs.

Would be cool to hear your thoughts.
    If it's not mic'd (so the engineer can EQ) then you're going to have to listen from the front of house and adjust. The main issue I have, speaking as an audience member, is when the guitar is too bright and treble-y - it is horrific at high volume, and if the guitarist is setting their own volume then it's often way too loud.

It's about the band mix, so you need to listen to the sound in the band during soundcheck and adjust from there, not so much just listening to your own sound. And crucially you don't need to be everything - i.e. you don't need to be the bass, mid and the treble. Mid range is where it's at for guitars! 

Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
    Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Beamy amp?
    tilt back and point at roof and then EQ from there
    i like the bass up high but it depends if the amp has the headroom for it (and they type of amp)
    Mesas love a lot of bass. A fender twin would make you shit your pants ... 
    generally I don't mess too much with my eq venue to venue 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    Cabicular said:
    Beamy amp?
    tilt back and point at roof and then EQ from there
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ib1eQHmvOcQ/maxresdefault.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    He's not called the Boss by accident