Rotator Cuff Issues

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Cos, I've had a lot of shoulder issues through sport, my right shoulder.

I subluxed it (dioslocated) playing rugby, and tore the top bicep header in my right arm. Then, a few years later, the bicep on the same arm ripped fully off at the elbow end (at my age reattachment is impossible and you work on builidng the secondary bicep (braeciallis) which sits under the main.

During that process I had rotator issues which they sorted.

What I'll tell you is this; recovery is slow and painful. Small things like putting a coat on is excurciating, closing a car door is agony.

And it stays like this until, as if my magic, one day everything changes. From the day I stuffed my shoulder with the sub-lux it took me 18 months to bowl a cricket ball again.

Diet is key- loads of salmon and (suitably! Greek yoghurt.

The other thing is mental management- you need to think two physical moves ahead- e.g. the car door- face the other way and use the other arm; jacket, work a way of putting the bad arm in first (you'll suddenly realise you've put a jacket on the SAME way all your life and you didn't know), work a way of taking any hyper extension out of the equasion.

Another great tip is sleep with a small pillow under you affected armpit. It takes extension pressure off your arm and prevents it going across your chest as you sleep- when your arm does this your shoulder will extend- not good.

(An aside- when this all took place I found I was one of 5% born with a shoulder tip deformity- mine floats and is disconnected. THis happens in 5% of people- however as a cricketer it's fab news as it allows your shoulder to hyper extend on delivery and allows your to rotate to swing a ball- Malcolm Marshall, Wasim Akram and Botham have the same deformity (but a lot more skill)! It makes a massive difference!!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Thanks for the tips @TimmyO and @Gassage (no problem with that diet James and I take it's the Omega-3 that helps).

I was born with hammerhead thumbs that look like toes but I can't play like Mark King or any other slappers. Enjoy "your difference" and use it to your advantage :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Cos- the best bit is the pillow or cushion tip to sleep - it so works - also grip the cushion under your armpit  if in pain- it's like grinding a sore tooth in a cathartic way.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited November 2016
    Cheers James for the "Pillow Talk".  I will give that a try tonight