Rehearsal room amp of the week, the Vox AC30vr.

EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
Usual 2 minutes to try to get a useable sound. Looks impressive ( in a Voxy way). Worked, always a plus.

I think you'd struggle to get a loud, very clear tone although you can dial in a crunchy tone quickly. Was loud enough for the rehearsal without issue. Quite boxy sounding for a biggish combo. Rehearsal room amps running through cheap 4x12s often have a woolly bottom end that I'm endlessly trying to dial out but a bit more the opposite here. None of the weird clipping s**t you get on some SS combos with effect pedals. Wonderfully non dynamic response from the amp resulting in the guitar volume knob being almost an on-off control.

Based on my brief experience it's a giggable combo although I'd not be keen on paying the full rrp.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've found these to be a bit rubbish. They seem to make everything sound a bit lifeless. I'm not sure how to describe it, but even the Vox Modelling amps sound better. Not really like an AC30 at all. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited November 2016
    I've found these to be a bit rubbish. They seem to make everything sound a bit lifeless. I'm not sure how to describe it, but even the Vox Modelling amps sound better. Not really like an AC30 at all. 
    I have to agree - I really didn't like these amps at all, and they certainly don't sound or feel anything like an AC30.  My AD120VTX Valvetronix is infinitely better, and the AC30/AC30TB models in that just kill the AC30VR.  I also have a Mk I Marshall Valvestate 80V '8080' 1x12" combo that kills the AC30VR too.    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    Yes, I completely agree too. I've only played one of them, but it was terrible. Totally lifeless tone and a very flat dynamic. Their digital modellers are much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein