Something I really should be capable of - plug wiring

What's Hot
After reading this thread and getting fed up with the short power lead on my PPjr, I've done the snip and am ready to connect the male IEC C14 connector to the PPjr.

But I can't work out how to do it. It's not like a mains plug, nor is it anything like the IEC plugs I used when my mom went through the lead on her hedge trimmers.

It looks a bit like this on the inside

I was expecting to be able to just screw down the copper core like a mains plug but... can't get it to work  :s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29001
    Make sure you've wrapped the wire around the screws so that it's pulled in when you tighten them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Sporky said:
    Make sure you've wrapped the wire around the screws so that it's pulled in when you tighten them.
    I've tried that and the screw threads cut the wire as a screwed it down? Or do you mean just wrap it around the very top of the screw so that it sandwiches the stripped copper?
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Why not just put a 13A plug on it?
    Veganic said:
    Because it's really bloody short
    bbill335 said:
    Sporky said:
    I've tried that and the screw threads cut the wire as a screwed it down? Or do you mean just wrap it around the very top of the screw so that it sandwiches the stripped copper?
    The copper should go between the washer under the screw head, and the contact itself.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4373
    bbill335 said:
    Sporky said:
    Yep - the stripped copper should be sandwiched between the head of the screw and the washer.  Wrap it round clockwise so as the screw tightens, it pulls in the wire - i.e. if the wire is coming into the plug from the bottom (like a mains plug), start to the left of the screw and wrap it around to the right.

Leave as little bare wire showing as possible and don't overtighten the screw.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4373
    Pah, @Sporky wins again :)
    Sporky said:
    bbill335 said:
    Sporky said:
    The copper should go between the washer under the screw head, and the contact itself.
    No washer on this (I'm assuming cheap piece of shit) plug but I'll keep trying to get it right.

I'm surprised there aren't more pictures/videos about how to do this. You can google how to do most things on most models of car and get a detailed explanation but wiring up a kettle lead? You're on your own, Billy!
    bbill335 said:
    Veganic said:
    Because it's really bloody short

Must be really really short then. Won't you  be putting it into a extension of some kind anyway?

Then I agree with the other posters except I'd call it anti-clockwise wrapping? Lay the end then wrap anti-clockwise.
    It'll be darned hard if there's no washer. Can you clamp under the contact? Or do you have washers?

How does that look?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Have a wisdom - on condition that you put the plastic top on. :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    edited November 2016
    I thought the cable clamp should be on the outer cable insulation rather on the individual cores (i.e. I'd say you've stripped the insulation too far back)
    Edit: and I think you should use washers under the screw head to make a more secure wire-squasher
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    I thought the cable clamp should be on the outer cable insulation rather on the individual cores (i.e. I'd say you've stripped the insulation too far back)
    Edit: and I think you should use washers under the screw head to make a more secure wire-squasher
    I'll put some tape around it, for now, to make the stress reliever more snug as well. I'll try and find some washers but my flat ain't exactly CPC. Once I get the washers I can redo it so the outer insulation is in the right place.

BUT it should be good to go, right?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Yeah it should be fine, it's robustness which it looks like it's currently lacking.
    The plus side is that you're wiring the load side of the connection, so if you pulled the cable and it came out you'd be safe as the live parts (i.e. the pins) would be left within the insulated plug housing.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Thanks for the guidance, everybody!

I wonder what it was I used to fix those hedge trimmers. It was a lot easier to put together and was a lot more secure, like a 13a  :s