Ever heard of Hayden amps?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
edited November 2016 in Amps
One for sale in the local classifieds
Hayden Speakeasy 2x12 Combo....any love for these? Never heard of them.......Ashdown brand? Going rate for one in good nick?

Cheers!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6400
    Hayden is a top man, and makes belting amps.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They were all Ashdown, then Ashdown became the bass amp brand and Hayden became the guitar amp brand. I think.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
    This is apparently 60W point to point wired, EL34  or 6L6 at the twist of a knob or the two mixed, 2 channels, Reverb and fx loop all footswitchable, sounds well specced....mmmmmm wonder what a fair price would be......any experience of sound/build quality?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I thought a lot of them in recent times were Chinese PCB jobbies, so I guess this may be an early one?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Ad content...sounds early...

Fantastic British made Speakeasy 60w 2 channel 2x12 Tube combo by Hayden. 2 x Celestion Vintage speakers. Stainless Steel amp chassis with military spec point to point hand wiring. Select either 6L6 or EL34 Valves or a blend of both. Pickup up sensitivity control. Reverb. Purchased from Music Academy a few years ago as they were clearing out ex-tour equipment. Almost mint condition, so does not appear to have been gigged much, if at all. Originally retailed at £1200!

• Weren't the first Speakeasies built by Matamp?
     I remember someone on here trying to sell one a while back and i was seriously tempted. Lots of pictures of the internals too. Might be worth doing a search.
     How much is it going for?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Reduced to £400....

• Ok, it seems that the first Ashdown Speakeasies were built by Matamp. Still, £400 doesn't seem like a bad price.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    edited November 2016
    I searched and best I found was a single channel jobby, this sounds similar vintage as there seem to be later Chinese built models under the same banner, seemingly less desirable...and PCB,s

• A friend has an original Ashdown Peacemaker head and cab and it has beautiful, beautiful cleans.

I have tried the Hayden Peacemaker stuff and the thing to be careful of is the huge, huge variance between the cheap Chinese versions and the handwired models, sometimes frustratingly similar in name and appearance. The Chinese version of the Peacemaker was utter dogshit compared to the handwired version, and don't get me started on the Fallen Angel range.
  • Supposed to be good amps. Not tried one myself though
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I had Danny McNamara's one from Embrace (although it was Ashdown branded). Built like a tank and definitely Matamp. I've found the one you're looking at and it's very similar (they did a slightly different one later on). Worth a blast if local to you. You won't see your money back though, so get it for as low a price as possible - it's like the Trace Elliot guitar amp range....fantastic engineering and worth every penny as hardware, but resale demand is about the same as Eddie Murphy's used sticky beaded car seat covers. 
  • Parker said:
    I had Danny McNamara's one from Embrace (although it was Ashdown branded). Built like a tank and definitely Matamp. I've found the one you're looking at and it's very similar (they did a slightly different one later on). Worth a blast if local to you. You won't see your money back though, so get it for as low a price as possible - it's like the Trace Elliot guitar amp range....fantastic engineering and worth every penny as hardware, but resale demand is about the same as Eddie Murphy's used sticky beaded car seat covers. 
    That's done the rounds and is a fantastic amp. *richard* only sold it as he went over to a kemper so didn't need the amp and the jtm45 he was also using. He headlined Glastonbury with it. In fact, totally off subject, after having that, and nick McCabes plexi, both amps have headlined Glastonbury