Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anything smaller than a Fender Twin sound similar?

What's Hot
I just demoed a 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb, and a 65 Reissue Twin, and in my opinion the Twin just sounds miles better for thick clean Strat sounds even when it's at low volume.  I thought the DRRI was nice clean but doesn't have the full sound that I immediately liked about the Twin. Also like the 'mid' control on the Twin.  Problem is I really don't need the volume of a Twin, or the size... It's primarily for home & studio use.

Any other options I should be looking at??!
Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    edited November 2016
    What you need is a SF Pro Reverb, the one with the valve rectifier and without the mid control (hopefully this isn't a deal breaker).  It's ~40 watts of Fender clean loveliness and is often described as the mini Twin.  Don't be tempted by the ultralinear late 70's Pro Reverbs (which do have a mid control and a solid state rectifier), they're shit.

Edit: for some reason, I read that you wanted a quieter Twin, not a smaller Twin. So everything I just wrote is utter bullshit. Sorry about that. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know those, are they available as a 'new' (reissue)?  Is it one of these?
  • Don't laugh (although I know you will) but I have dialled in an incredible twin sound on my Spider V. It's not actually the twin model. It's the Line 6 version of a Dumble. Huge fat but present clean. Because it's full range the low end is massive for the size of the amp. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love my 65 Deluxe Reverb, but if I were to go for a step up, I'd go for a Super Reverb.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72569
    The Pro Reverb is the same size as the Twin and very nearly as heavy. The Super is *bigger* than a Twin and about the same weight.

The Vibrolux Reverb splits the difference between the Deluxe and the Twin and sounds more like a small Twin than a bigger Deluxe, in my opinion.

It's also possible to beef up the sound of the Deluxe quite noticeably by fitting 6L6 output valves and a solid-state rectifier, which only requires a rebias, no permanent mod. This makes it much more like a small Twin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    Carr Rambler reminds me of a mini twin but sweeter.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Rambler

Dr Z EZG
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    edited November 2016
    DR Z EZG i did exactly the same went from a twin to one of these, awesome sounding amps
  • Deluxe with a louder speaker and 6L6s? 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    Essentially no, but there are other variations on the Fender clean that are perfectly usable.
    Deluxe Reverb is a great tone but it doesn't sound like a twin.
  • Like ICBM says, 6l6s, ss rectifier and I've heard that a larger OT gets you close. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72569
    Deluxe with a louder speaker and 6L6s? 
    The C12K in the reissue Deluxe is actually pretty loud - more so than the originals, and the same speaker used in the reissue Twin.

The interesting thing is that fitting 6L6s actually increases the power output with the stock speaker despite the change of valve impedance - because the DR OT is the wrong ratio for 6V6s, and closer to a match for 6L6s with an 8-ohm speaker. The stock mismatch is a big part of what gives the DR its flubby tone, in fact - a more correct impedance match produces a tighter, bolder sound as well as a little more power.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited November 2016
    Two Rock Studio pro 35

• I was carting an early 70s Pro around for my mate's band on Saturday. Although not light, they aren't particularly heavy and are quite an easy shape to carry for an average Joe
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    ICBM said:
    Deluxe with a louder speaker and 6L6s? 
    The C12K in the reissue Deluxe is actually pretty loud
    I might put one of these in my Traynor YGM3. I love the tone (it has a C12Q right now) but could do with *more* of it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    I've had a Pro Reverb and it was very nearly as big and heavy as a Twin.

I'd have a look at the Supersonic 100. That way you split the weight and I believe the clean channel is essentially a Twin.
  • mfinmfin Frets: 41
    edited November 2016
    What kind of thing do you mean by "thick strat sound"? If you mean clean to breaking clean sounds (which I think you mean), then I'd say speak to Rob at RD Amplfication about a Dualist with two 6V6s, it's a dumble pre-amp circuit into fender 5e3 power. I have one and the clean sounds are the best I have ever had with low output strats, better than all fenders I've had or tried for my taste.

Mine's 18 watt, has masses of clean headroom, way louder than the 18 watts suggest but completely usable in the house. It's also is quite small and weighs very little so very easy to move around.

The "thick" or full clean sound is how I'd describe mine, but it can do all sorts and it even takes pedals well.
  • mfin said:
    What kind of thing do you mean by "thick strat sound"? If you mean clean to breaking clean sounds (which I think you mean), then I'd say speak to Rob at RD Amplfication about a Dualist with two 6V6s, it's a dumble pre-amp circuit into fender 5e3 power. I have one and the clean sounds are the best I have ever had with low output strats, better than all fenders I've had or tried for my taste.

Mine's 18 watt, has masses of clean headroom, way louder than the 18 watts suggest but completely usable in the house. It's also is quite small and weighs very little so very easy to move around.

The "thick" or full clean sound is how I'd describe mine, but it can do all sorts and it even takes pedals well.
    What I mean for example is playing with the front or middle pickup on a Strat with virtually no reverb there is no break up at all, and the sound has a solidity to it, a very 'firm' twang ?! But with a warm richness. If you play chords you can hear all the strings very clearly, it's very 3d. I found the Deluxe Reverb to sound less distinct, like it was less clean even though it wasn't driven, so especially the chords aren't as clear, and it just didn't have the 'weight' of sound. It was a good sound, but the Twin was the sound I liked. Playing both amps at pretty low levels.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    Contrary to popular belief, a Twin is perfect for home or studio use because you don't have to carry it and their weight makes them a second hand bargain. 

Just get one, nothing else sounds like that. If you think you're wasting its power by playing it quietly you're really not, you're just using its headroom. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    TK Imperial or an Ultra Linear Twin!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.