Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Who - Bargain

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @impmann I never saw them with Entwistle but I was front row for their gig in Abu Dhabi a couple of years ago. Absolutely astonishing. Obviously they were better the further back you go so I can only imagine how good they tustve been then, or in the 70's.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8558
    I'd rather listen to PT than Clapton, Beck, Page or Hendrix. 

He also manages to sound exactly like himself no matter what guitar he's playing - Rickenbacker, SG special, LP Deluxe, Gretsch and EC Strat. 
    You forgot the Schecter and Giffins man.  But otherwise your point is a good one so i'll pipe down.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980
    edited November 2016
    TheMarlin said:
    I'm sure he played a 6120 into a 63 Bassman. 
    On Who's Next he used the rig that Joe Walsh gave him for the New York Record Plant sessions which were shelved and the songs re-recorded by Glyn Johns at Olympic Studios when they got back to London. Pete used the whole rig that Joe Walsh had gifted him, 59 Gretsch 6120, Edwards volume pedal and 59 Fender Tweed Bandmaster (looks very similar to a Bassman). He even used the Whirlwind cable that Joe gave him. Joe Walsh showed Pete how to set the amp up to get a Neil Young type sound and he loved it so much that he kept everything the same for the Olympic sessions  for Who's Next and much of the Quarophenia sessions later on.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Yeah top band.  I always think of Townsend as the drummer and Keith Moon as the lead guitarist, makes more sense then.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14609
    tFB Trader
    first major concert for me - 1976 Charlton Football Ground - and it peed down most of the day - I was 16 at the time and can't remember enough about it - To be  honest I wish I was a few years older or shall I say I wish I knew more about The Who when I went - still into T-Rex and Slade - Went with a older work colleague who was a big Who fan  - Support band included Little Feat and Alex Harvey, so what a line up yet for me both Little Feat and The Who is something I grew up listening to after this gig - Saw The Who twice after

You can see why both The Who and The Kinks still influence Indie style bands today - simple and effective songs that cross the commercial radio stations and stadium rock
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3683
    Who fan here, I've seen them a couple of times with Kenny Jones and Zak Starkey when Entwhistle was still around.

My favourite stuff is from the mod period, Can't explain, Substitute etc.

Can't beat that power trio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2813
    dindude said:
    I'd rather listen to PT than Clapton, Beck, Page or Hendrix. 

He also manages to sound exactly like himself no matter what guitar he's playing - Rickenbacker, SG special, LP Deluxe, Gretsch and EC Strat. 
    You forgot the Schecter and Giffins man.  But otherwise your point is a good one so i'll pipe down.
    Or Tele.........

@impmann - that was awesome.

I'd also like to give a shout out for Roger Daltrey.  An amazing frontman - loved his Woodstock.  I also quite like this, not with Pete (Jimmy McCulloch I think) but it does have Keith playing in his underpants.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4349
    edited November 2016
    As Neil said, I love the mod era stuff.

I don't really like any of the rest of their music though. There's a lot of shite.

I saw them perform Quadrophenia (and then all the classics afterwards) around '99 / '00 ish. I'm pleased I got to see John Entwhistle while he was still alive.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Frankly... I've always thought the Who were far more interesting post Mod era. I never saw them with Moon, more's the pity... but no band I've ever seen pushed anywhere near the energy into the room than they did at the Albert Hall. I've seen them since John's death and they were good, but that raw power just wasn't there.

This is the opening song... now if you listen to it, it starts a bit ploddy and a bit lifeless. By the end of the song, they've found their stride and they were incredible. Each song just notched it up another level. I've never seen or witnessed anything like it before or since...

Even a 'difficult' live song such as Baba - complete with Pete's wonderful "FUCK OFF" after Its only Teenage Wasteland - was fantastic. I can even forgive Nigel Kennedy and Roger's dubious pitching a couple of times.

The whole gig was off the scale. I did feel sorry for Pete's Strats on a couple of occasions - he had two red ones and a white one (normally capo'd) for the gig. The white one seemed to be treated with a little more respect but the red ones really had a hard time. But that's what you want to see Pete doing, enjoying himself!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2016
    I used to listen to Who's Next a lot.

I still like it, but I heard a snippet of "Won't Get Folled Again" on the radio the other day and instinctively thought to myself how the guitar sounded a tad harsh. Guess my tastes have changed.

My favourite all time Who record and Townshend tones shall always and forever be the mighty Live at Leeds. A masterclass.

For anyone who levels the 'sloppy drummer' accusation at Moony, just listen to the segues and the way he's totally on the beat here. Perfection.

My favourite bit of all is the 'whoops I've blown my speakers out' moment from 6:16 on.

Plenty of sterling guitar work all round @richardhomer methinks. 

edited November 2016
    If you like Live at Leeds...

Check out Live in Hull. This is the "lost" recording from the Hull show on the same tour, recorded with the Pye Mobile but mixed and mastered (by Pete and Bob Pridden) recently. The reason it was never put out, even though most from the time agree it was a better show, was that for the first few songs John's bass amp mic was unplugged. To rectify it, they took the bass parts from Live at Leeds and dropped them into the songs where the bass parts were missing - apparently it really wasn't difficult because they were so tight.
    Unlike Live at Leeds, Moon's kit was properly mic'd up and he sounds like machine gun fire. The songs from Tommy are just superb and "A quick one while he's away" is just magical. And best of all... no Magic Bus 'jam'. The guitar and bass sounds are HUGE - and it genuinely sounds like the Who are playing in your lounge.

Well worth investing in.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @impmann ; Thanks. I've known about Live at Hull but have yet to hear it. I'll seek it out.
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    Seems I'm in the minority as usual, but my favourite Who period would be 1965 to '68...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TheMarlin said:
    I'm sure he played a 6120 into a 63 Bassman. 
    On Who's Next he used the rig that Joe Walsh gave him for the New York Record Plant sessions which were shelved and the songs re-recorded by Glyn Johns at Olympic Studios when they got back to London. Pete used the whole rig that Joe Walsh had gifted him, 59 Gretsch 6120, Edwards volume pedal and 59 Fender Tweed Bandmaster (looks very similar to a Bassman). He even used the Whirlwind cable that Joe gave him. Joe Walsh showed Pete how to set the amp up to get a Neil Young type sound and he loved it so much that he kept everything the same for the Olympic sessions  for Who's Next and much of the Quarophenia sessions later on.
    Wow from me. 
    I'm a huge fan of Pete and that's *Really* useful information.
    Can i ask the significance of the volume pedal?
    Is it for in place of the guitars volume control to lower and the increase gain again, running the amp on full tilt?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2632
    impmann said:
    Fantastic! Don't know if any of you guys follow this guy on youtube but he's a Who nut and also does the odd lesson.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    cruxiform said:
    impmann said:
    Fantastic! Don't know if any of you guys follow this guy on youtube but he's a Who nut and also does the odd lesson.

There's no such thing as insomnia anymore then !

Nice one guys. Now instead of "I can't sleep" it's going to be "I haven't finished listening to / appreciating / learning this yet !"

Proper music played fucking properly.

Brilliant.