Splawn Amps?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5865
Anyone know of there reputation? I like the look and sounds of the Supersport Mini 22 watt 6V6. Seems you can only get them from Sounds Great.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Unusual name..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I tried the Quickrod and Streetrod some years ago.. i thought they were fantastic modded Marshall tones
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5865
    edited November 2016
    usedtobe said:
    Unusual name..
    It's the Builder's name "Scott Splawn", but, yes, unusual indeed.

jaysmith said:
    I tried the Quickrod and Streetrod some years ago.. i thought they were fantastic modded Marshall tones
    Good to hear that @jaysmith ;;

I'm looking around stuff that's new to me, I've recently discovered Hamstead Soundworks too, the Artist 20 sounds cool. I am getting confused though as to how you get 20 watts from 2x el34 in one of those(similar to the Marshall Jublilee Mini).
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I had a Competition. It was a bit of a monster and could sound great with the right amount of volume.  It was an older one without the loop volume control.

I found it very picky though and struggled to get to grips with the eq some days. 

You can order direct from Splawn, doubt it's much cheaper than sounds great though.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited November 2016
    Splawns are good. The Quickrod has a good hard rock tone at all volumes. Cleans are a bit sterile though
  • i had one too, and it was a tricky amp to dial in.
    I much prefer a JCM800 + boost of choice

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    While it doesn't have the insane gain levels of the Splawns, for a really good Marshall flavour I am loving the Cornford Roadhouse 50 i bought recently.  
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    I've played a couple in Sounds great and they are great but a little high gain for me.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5865
    edited November 2016
    i had one too, and it was a tricky amp to dial in.
    I much prefer a JCM800 + boost of choice
    Did you have the Supersport? Was it hard to dial in for a particular level of gain @Moltisanti ;;

I'm not too fussed about really high gain(if you meant that) although it's nice to have as an option. I am interested in how it does all the inbetween levels of gain and "cleanish" though. If it's hard to dial in period, that's a bit of a pain.

I do flit from one thing to another quite quickly when I'm planning a purchase, I can't keep up with myself sometimes. I'm very interested in the Hamstead Artist 20 Head too, Red Dog has run out of stock, although I have enquired.
  • it was tricky to dial in full stop, the EQ was like on a Mesa where all the controls interact with eachother so everything you change affects everything else massively.
    Some people get on fine with EQs like this but I like a more simple Marshall style does what it says on the tin style EQ.
    It was very picky about cabs/speakers too

• it was tricky to dial in full stop, the EQ was like on a Mesa where all the controls interact with eachother so everything you change affects everything else massively.
    Some people get on fine with EQs like this but I like a more simple Marshall style does what it says on the tin style EQ.
    It was very picky about cabs/speakers too

Ahhh, I see.....and recognise that scenario instantly @Moltisanti ;

I started a thread not too long ago about the EQ on Mesa, namely, my 5:50 Express, I thought it was dodgy as I'd never experienced it before, turned out it is what it is like you confirmed. It's a great amp but a pain to EQ, I suppose some must get on with em though.

Don't have this issue with my Maz or Bogner GF45, so I will be moving my thoughts on from the Splawn if this is the case. I just don't get why an amp would be designed in this way, oh well.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Want to try a Quick Rod or a Nitro.

All the demos I've heard sound exactly like Van Halen, which appeals.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    They have a great reputation as far as I'm aware. That said there are equally good (at least) amp builders from this side if the pond.