Does this amp exist?

peteripeteri Frets: 1283
hi

I'm after a small valve combo, mainly home use so low wattage. 

The clean sound I'm after think Lenny, so warm full and slightly compressed. 

Ideally with a nice reverb and maybe even a trem but that's gravy 

currently I have a Peavey Classic 30, it's a nice amp but really too loud so I attenuate it and I want warmer fuller cleans

I will use this as a pedal platform so no fx loop needed, or overdrive channel

What's important to me is that it compresses easily so you hit it with a tube screamer and it starts to squish rather than get louder. 

This last point is the main issue I have with the peavey. 

Used price say up to £1200?

any ideas?

thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Vox AC15TB or AC15C1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fender 68 Princeton Reverb

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2272004000/combo-amps/fender-68-custom-princeton-reverb-guitar-amplifier

Warmer and less twangy/ice picky than a '65.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Thanks - will try and demo these suggestions, never thought of the Vox
  • I'd say vox - I have an ac15 - but make sure it has a master volume to help keep it manageable. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    It was the compression that made me suggest it - it's much more so than something Fender. I had an AC15TBX and found it far too compressed at band volume, but that's probably exactly what you want for playing more quietly.

If anything you probably want the 'cheaper' version with the Greenback speaker rather than the 'X' with a Blue, too - it's less efficient so you can push the amp harder for the same final volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well I've tried all the suggestions today.

All made sense - so thank you.

Current favourite is the 68 Princeton, the 65 was lovely - and tempting, but there was a nicer compression on the 68.

New these are £863 at GuitarGuitar - would I notice a difference if I saved up a bit more and went for something more exotic like a Carr?

Thanks

Pete 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Have a look at the Swart Space Tone Reverb Tremolo (for the sake of full disclosure I do happen to have one in the classifieds...)
    Thanks - tried the Atomic Space Tone last week, is there any difference?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2016
    peteri said:
    That's around 20 watts I think. Mine's 5 watts and perfect for home use, especially with the Night Light attenuator.

Edit: I'm not sure about the Atomic Space tone actually... I find his range a little confusing.
  • peteri said:
    Well I've tried all the suggestions today.

All made sense - so thank you.

Current favourite is the 68 Princeton, the 65 was lovely - and tempting, but there was a nicer compression on the 68.

New these are £863 at GuitarGuitar - would I notice a difference if I saved up a bit more and went for something more exotic like a Carr?

Thanks

Pete 
    The Carr amps are not as warm as the Fenders. For your requirement I'd take either Princeton over the Sportsman and definitely the Rambler. Not that they are not fine amps, they are, but the Fender 65 kills them for home level warmth IMO.  (I've not tried the 68).  That said, the headroom control on the sportsman is good and no doubt the amp has more oomph for gigging (which incedentally so does my PRRI since I upgraded the OT).  But for me, the Fender has a little more mojo than the Carr amps at lower volume.
    Wow - interesting thanks 
    simonk said:
    peteri said:
    That's around 20 watts I think. Mine's 5 watts and perfect for home use, especially with the Night Light attenuator.

Edit: I'm not sure about the Atomic Space tone actually... I find his range a little confusing.
    Thanks - completely agree, I've emailed Swart to ask them!