Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why doesn't England just leave the UK?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I consider myself Japanese.

And I identify as an attack helicopter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    fob said:

Another 'genuinely intrigued' question: if England are playing Scotland (football, rugby, chess) who do you root for in your heart?
    Scotland.

But if England are playing anyone other than Scotland I tend to support England, so I may fail the test of being truly Scottish :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Nah... I always support the England cricket team. Unless they are being really crap.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    camf said:
    Nah... I always support the England cricket team. Unless they are being really crap.
    Ah, but that's fair since Scotland is a Minor County in the English league… not sure if that gets a :) or a :(. ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Don't push it... :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Why doesn't London leave the UK and become a city state?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28668
    Evilmags said:
    Because if London stopped subsidising the regions, London wouldn't be able to afford their crops.

Also there's more of us and we have more sticks.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sporky said:
    Evilmags said:
    Because if London stopped subsidising the regions, London wouldn't be able to afford their crops.

Also there's more of us and we have more sticks.
    We have the power stations and the petrol depots ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    AliGorie said:
    Aint gonna happen guy's, ’THEY’VE’ all got shares in it.
    'THEY'D' SEND THE TROOPS IN
    We hear how bad the ‘High Streets doing but not a word of this - not a word in the UK MSM, North Sea Find in the Trillions - and not a word.

"Dr Richard Pike, a former oil industry consultant and now the chief executive of the Royal Society of Chemistry, said: "Rather than only getting 20 to 30 billion barrels [from the North Sea] we are probably looking at more than twice that amount."
    His analysis is supported by petroleum experts who believe there are some 300 fields off the coast of Britain still to be explored and tapped properly. If energy prices continue to soar, companies will become increasingly willing to tap previously uneconomic oil fields."
    Dr Pike claims that the industry knows the true figures but refuses to release them because of commercial secrecy.

Oh look they’ve found more !

North Sea Oil Firms Shares Soar After North Sea Find in the Trillions
    http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/10233/north-sea-oil-firms-shares-soar-after-north-sea-find-in-the-trillions/

and -
    Could Hurricane Energy’s Lancaster be one of ‘best’ oil fields on the planet?

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/168278/could-hurricane-energys-lancaster-be-one-of-best-oil-fields-on-the-planet-168278.html

Scotland will claim ownership.

And enforce that with what? They Navy they won't have?
    Na FM, what I mean by 'THEY' I is the ruling / political elite, they're not gonna let it go, oil peaking in 5 yrs or the barrel price doesn't undo the fact we're talking in trillions as shown in the 2 links above - what mores to come ?..
    They give licenses to favoured oil & gas companies and THEY invest in the companies who extract it and sell the product. The UK treasury only receives the tax revenue. The same thing is going on in Ireland - UK based companies being given drilling licenses so THEY can have a nice little shares ‘fund’ via Coutts bank or wherever , that's why we bailed them out (the Irish) the Good Friday agreement and HRH visiting Dublin - it’s all forgiven, ‘the trouble’s’ et al. UK tax payers money (65Mil  was it) to buy a nice stake in Irish oil - for a few.
    Unlike Norway who ‘contract’ ./create companies to extract the stuff (and pay them well) but Norway keeps the profit and the tax revenue, it’s biggest problem is managing the vast amount of ’National Well/ Wealth Fund’ it has amassed.
    Remember the Falklands ?
    e.g.
    Rockhopper Exploration PLC is an oil and gas exploration company headquartered in Salisbury, Wiltshire
    thats what that was ALL about.
    Oh and the 200,000 tones of fish they land annually.
    THEY sent the troops (Navy) in.
    Lets open the books and see the investors.

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited November 2016
    Why would we want to?

Even if we want to leave, the whole article 50 process helps us massively! It gives us 2 years to sort out trade deals and terms of exit to be as favourable to us as we can get it, so that when we leave we will not start with a blank slate, we will potentially have a uk-eu trade agreement, along with other countries that have said they want to be first in line (Singapore, Australia and many others).

Whilst we couldn't sign any uk-non eu trade deals before the 2 years of article 50 is up, we could start negotiating and get the terms agreed by both parties, and then sign it on the day we leave. If we left the UK, then we would get nothing out of it. We could leave straight away now if we wanted to, without leaving the uk, but we don' want to.

We want as long as we can get to get the change from eu to non eu to be as streamlined as possible.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?