Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there anything I should know that would stop me buying an FX8 MkII?

What's Hot

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    If you disable all amp and cab sims in the AX8, does it then offer the same "unity gain" benefit of the FX8?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I agreed with kjdowd,  about considering the ax8,   I went from the fx8 to an ax8 and sometimes use it with a real amp just for the fx,    One side benefit is that you can use the preamp section of amp models as if they were drive pedals so you have lots more options and instant tweaking with dedicated knobs.

In studio, isolated and listening super carefully it's possible that there is some extra noise but if you are using it live then it's never going to be noticeable so I would choose on the features that you need.     I wanted the amp models to use on some gigs and I don't need channel switching relays so the ax8 works better for me.   
  • I had a mk1 and the main things that made me sell and go back to a normal pedal board were 1) it's less easy to make quick adjustments on the fly, compared to pedals with knobs; 2) you have to remember which variant of each effect you have in each slot....if they had a display telling you that it would be great; 3) although the drives were decent, I preferred my analogue pedals. 
    The quality of the effects in general, and particularly delay and reverb, is superb though. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Seriously... consider the Helix. I'm still wiping the jizz of it from the last time I used it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    Also you can buy a Helix in this country from a variety of retailers who have it in stock and answer emails.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Seriously... consider the Helix. I'm still wiping the jizz of it from the last time I used it!
    Bet the audience loved that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    cbellanga said:
    I didn't like the drives at all .. they sounded very digital to my ears.
    I had the same criticism of the TC Nova.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Sassafras said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Bet the audience loved that.
    And I'm sure they'll ask you to come again!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    The AX8 is not designed to be used with a real amp. Consequently the noise-floor is higher. If you're just looking for FX, go fo the FX8.
    I must disagree with this, to be honest... zero floor noise from my AX8 into 3 real amps.

I actually DO use the AX8 with the Rambler though, just being selective about which models I use.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9572
    edited November 2016
    So, Im fortunate to own both the FX8 mk 1 and the AX8.

I love the looks of the FX8 mk 1, and it has the brilliantly simply instant unity gain. Works stunning with two amps in stereo. It is the one I got too first, and it is so simple to use.

My name has come up right now on the waitlist for the mk 2 FX8. But i genuinely cant see any reason to really update it.

The AX8 has more options than the FX8, including the ability to have two separate outputs which differing fxs and settings.

If youre not after the amp modelling, Id recommend the FX8.

@simonk - feel free to ask any questions mate...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    @Wazmeister  presumably then if you could only have one of the two you'd go for the AX8?

I have tne FX8 and am very tempted by the AX8. I can't justify keeping them both though so would sell my FX8. 

If further down the line I decided to go back to a real amp do you think the AX8 used as FX only would perform as well as an FX8?

If I go for it I'll bring an AX8 in from the US as so much cheaper, but that means I can't send it back like with G66 so want to be as sure as I can before I buy ideally. 

Cheers
    Drew_TNBD said:
    The AX8 is not designed to be used with a real amp. Consequently the noise-floor is higher. If you're just looking for FX, go fo the FX8.
    I must disagree with this, to be honest... zero floor noise from my AX8 into 3 real amps.

I actually DO use the AX8 with the Rambler though, just being selective about which models I use.
    Well you're contradicting everything I've ever read on the subject, including what Cliff himself has said.
  • Sporky said:
    Also you can buy a Helix in this country from a variety of retailers who have it in stock and answer emails.
    Yeah, but if you buy an AxeFX you get to be part of Sir Cliff's gang of misfits on his forum.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Is there anything I should know that would stop me buying an FX8 MkII?

The Helix is cheaper, more flexible and sounds just as good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Well you're contradicting everything I've ever read on the subject, including what Cliff himself has said.
    Just passing on my actual owners knowledge as opposed to just reading about it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Just passing on my actual owners knowledge as opposed to just reading about it...
    It's not a question of owners knowledge. For all we know you may have cloth ears.

It's about specs.

The FX8 is specifically crafted for use with tube amps in 4-cable method. It is quieter for this reason. The AX8 is not specifically crafted for that reason and has higher noise floor. Whether it's acceptable to you or anyone else, or unacceptable to me or anyone else, is totally irrelevant.

OP asked a question. I answered it from a technical viewpoint. Not trying to shit on your contribution, though you do seem to be getting a little defensive. It's just a fact that one product is specifically designed for the OP's needs and the other - whilst it CAN do it - is not.

• Not defensive at all Drew - just passing on real experience...not just techincal stuff as I said, people like you have "read about"

You can also use the AX8 and FX8 in front of an amp, not just 4CM.

And i reiterate, it was silent with both the Rambler and Lazy J. 

As ever, ymmv and my cloth ears may have missed the obvious noise :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Sporky said:
    Yeah, but if you buy an AxeFX you get to be part of Sir Cliff's gang of misfits.
    its on his forum.

Charges were never bought against Sir Cliff and he has now been completely exonerated.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    At least 3 owners of the ax8 have mentioned how quiet they are.   

Unless you need the channel switching relays From the Fx8 then the ax8 works fine for fx only.    
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    John_P said:
    At least 3 owners of the ax8 have mentioned how quiet they are.  

Unless you need the channel switching relays From the Fx8 then the ax8 works fine for fx only.    
    The channel switching on the FX8 will be pretty handy actually.

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I'm pretty sold on the FX8, it looks like a good fit for how I want to use it - 10 days to wait until it rocks up according to Sussi's email. I'm very impressed by the Helix too, and that's an itch that will no doubt need scratching one day.