Violin made of spider silk wins Mayor of London innovation award

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That is interesting. I have a guitar made out of a resin developed at an Italian university called Sound Compound. It's light and sounds great - certainly sustains like my Les Paul. They also made violins - unfortunately musicians are a conservative bunch so it never took off. The company even made a hollow bodied jazz guitar.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    That is interesting. I have a guitar made out of a resin developed at an Italian university called Sound Compound. It's light and sounds great - certainly sustains like my Les Paul. They also made violins - unfortunately musicians are a conservative bunch so it never took off. The company even made a hollow bodied jazz guitar.

Is that a switch guitar? Made of "vibracell" IIRC.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

Is that a switch guitar? Made of "vibracell" IIRC.
    It was a Catalyst guitar .. Vernon Reid and Jan Akkerman had signature models

I have one of these:

And here's one of Vernon's guitars

The guy who owned Catalyst has set up a new company and refined the material even further. You can see his guitar designs here:

http://aristidesinstruments.com/gallery

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!