Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why doesn't Gibson do a Snowy White 57 reissue?

What's Hot
I've always loved gold tops and personally I think the man and the guitar are of legendary status. With strong links to Pink Floyd and Thin Lizzy without mentioning his solo career. 57 heavy relic gold top with black pickup rings and aged hardware? Surely I can't be the only one?

Off you go guys. Discuss

Bo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They probably will - along with his next door neighbour's LP - and his cousin-twice removed's.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They haven't done it to go with the Lynott Precision that Fender hasn't done either
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • He's not actually very famous, particularly in the USA or Japan. And more importantly it's not a burst so that rules out all those crazy people who buy anything if it says 1959 on the tag.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    He's not actually very famous, particularly in the USA or Japan. And more importantly it's not a burst so that rules out all those crazy people who buy anything if it says 1959 on the tag.
    True. And Gibson can't do an aged Goldtop properly IMO.

Limited Edition 'True Historic' Goldtop....I have NEVER seen an original look like this....

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    That's awful. The Dicky Betts aged models though were sublime. Tom Murphy did those I think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited November 2016
    That is terrible, the Bonamassa Goldtop is aged well. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    That's horrendous. They are actively selling that? :(

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

tFB Trader
    shugz said:
    That's horrendous. They are actively selling that? :(

Cheers
    Hugh
    It was a limited edition as well....they were quite proud of it...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    It was a limited edition as well.
    Good to know they didn't make many of them....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited November 2016
    That is comedically bad ! ,sold my beat up 54 last year. compared with that , it was possible to describe it as ex demo (as used by certain retailers, you understand ....) Having seen every variation on the ageing, wearing, crazing and general natural distress placed upon original 50's gold tops, I cannot remember seeing one gone so bad, though I guess it must be out there if the boys in Nashville managed to recreate it !
    tFB Trader
    And yet it can be done. Here are 2 examples that are IMO exceptionally done. Both 2014 guitars made by one of the worlds best...

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    If they were going to do one, they'd have to form an orderly queue for one of Old Black (Neil Young)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    He's not actually very famous, particularly in the USA or Japan. And more importantly it's not a burst so that rules out all those crazy people who buy anything if it says 1959 on the tag.
    That said I think he did have a bit of a following in Japan. I think I read an interview where he said he was presented with a replica of his 57 by a Japanese fan.
    Mind you I suppose it only takes one 
  • DrBob said:
    That said I think he did have a bit of a following in Japan. I think I read an interview where he said he was presented with a replica of his 57 by a Japanese fan.
    Mind you I suppose it only takes one 
    Entirely possible he's got quite a following over there, but does it overlap with the rich-man-Gibson-buyer demographic? i saw a crapload of bursts when I was over there a month ago, but only a very small number of goldtops (CS or otherwise)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Compared with the Collectors Choice / Aged / True Historic prices ( bearing in mind that the target market seems to be the obsessive multiple model collector, no disrespect to the guys who buy because they found "the one" within this range of models), when it comes to Gold tops, the real thing is relatively obtainable. I have seen 52 to 54 conversions that would be considered reasonable compared to the current limited edition etc. burst repro stuff being pushed out. There are some lovely reissues / historic models being turned out, but mostly in an attempt to deal with us ordinary guys aspirations towards the unobtainable era bursts, while the differential drops a fair bit beyond this ( that being said PAF loaded 57's are heading up there as well ).
  • by the way @miserneil , those two look fantastic ! 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    Yeah, non-bursts (and to a lesser extent goldtops) just don't move, at least not at the prices Gibson wants for those kinda models. The Tom Scholz Collector's Choice didn't even finish the run, I don't think I've ever seen on for sale above 200 or so (300 being the most they make of CC models). I'd argue Tom is way better known internationally than Snowy. 

Unless they go with a super-limited numbers run... but even then...
  • miserneil said:
    True. And Gibson can't do an aged Goldtop properly IMO.

Limited Edition 'True Historic' Goldtop....I have NEVER seen an original look like this....

That looks like it belonged to Peter Green.....before he cut his nails!!!

Personally for me the best GT re issue would be Blind Owl's guitar from the Woodstock appearance.
  • I doubt they'll ever be able to reproduce the exact colour because the don't use the crescent bronze paint that they did in the 50s. It had real metal flakes in it hence why some of the really worn ones turn green. It's the metal oxidising. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    edited November 2016
    miserneil said:
    And yet it can be done. Here are 2 examples that are IMO exceptionally done. Both 2014 guitars made by one of the worlds best...

@miserneil  Draw droppingly delicious.